Discuss Pre tests on new circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BigSpark

-
Arms
Reaction score
If i were to install a new circuit in an existing cu asuming all the calcs are ok and the board will handle said amps for new circuit ,what test am i required to do pre install. Am i right in sayin polarity of main incommers ,ze and pfc would be all im required to do or would i attempt to look for faults on existing circuits as these may affect my new install and possibly trip if im installing say an rcd or rcbo where none was present before. If i am required then to what extent do i test, just irt or go for full r1 r2, (r1 rn, end to end )and zs on all circuits in cu. Any help appreciated thanks BigSpark

You need to think about the nature of the addition, the extent of the certificate you will be providing, and the requirements of BS7671 regarding ensuring the existing equipment to be used is suitable for the addition. All will become clear.

Thanks for the help ive had a look into it and i realise that what i am adding to has to be fit for purpose but say the whole board was protected by a single rcd and i was adding a shower to this . Amperage was fine for the board, would i have to test the existing circuits on the rcd or would i assume they are ok as rcd is not tripping and go down route of ze, pfc, earth leakage test . just a bit unsure

Your testing the new circuit, you are installing. However, reg 132.16 applies (e.g. earthing & bonding), but testing is not required to the other circuits you are not working on.

Test the new circuit as per the regs, complete an EIC, with just your new circuit and noting other circuits not worked on.

PS as Murdoch says, it's notifiable in a domestic property.

Thanks very much for the help. So as long as the rcd and bonding are up to scratch really all ive got to worry about is how the tests are after ive installed my new circuit and of course notify lbc as its a new circuit

If you aren't registered to do notifiable work I believe you are required to notify your lbc before work commences so they can inform you of what checks if any they will require. They may require a 3rd party to check the work and that maybe expensive. Using somebody who is registered with a scheme is often more cost effective.

Thanks very much for the help. So as long as the rcd and bonding are up to scratch really all ive got to worry about is how the tests are after ive installed my new circuit and of course notify lbc as its a new circuit
You might want to test the RCD before you start, saves the old chestnut 'It was ok, before you messed around with it!'. And the 'division of circuits police', might have a say on adding to an install with the one RCD. :)

PS Ask your scheme re my last.

If you aren't registered to do notifiable work I believe you are required to notify your lbc before work commences so they can inform you of what checks if any they will require. They may require a 3rd party to check the work and that maybe expensive. Using somebody who is registered with a scheme is often more cost effective.

As Stroma only charge £288 per year it's probably best to join then than rely on some 3rd party to test - assuming you can find somebody.

Yes thanks for the help i will notify in accordance with part p . while ive got you here , do you know if a new wylex mcb will fit one of nb boards or are tbey not compatible. thanks BigSpark

Like handy sparks said the company i work for is registerd with nic eic so will use them for notification. any ideas on the wylex board

Reply to Pre tests on new circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock