Discuss Price for test certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

V

How much is the going rate for a certificate for a four bedroom house and if it doesn't pass and work is fixed how much is charged to retest, thanks

For an eicr to be conducted thoroughly i would charge my day rate of £225 to test. I would be on site for a minimum of 5 hours if not more. The remaining time would be for the necessary documentation.

As for a re test that would depend on what was found so impossible to say.

If the EICR was "unsatisfactory" and you had the remedial work(s) done, then there should be no need for another EICR to be conducted as the remedial work(s) should have either an EIC or a MEWC. And as above, a days rate is about the going rate but the price of the day rate will depend on how much the electrician values their self!

Jay

Thank you for your reply gents I thought the price would would depend on the individual electricians doing the job and also some won't test others work but the retest part seems to be the most interesting is it a day rate price, full test price or just testing bits that failed price thanks once again, I guess its up to the individual what they charge

At the end of the day there are people who do almost no tests and charge peanuts, and there are people who will do it properly and charge correctly....

I always visit a site before I agree a price as you can well and truly mislead by a caller on the phone....

Murdoch is on the right track at 225.00
Anything less than 200.00 and your paying for a piece of worthless paper.
Which you can probably get at any decent newsagents for less than a quid.

Thanks, can you answer if is it against the law for some one to move into a house they own that they don't want to rent out with out an inspection and testing certificate, I think it is but not sure

At the end of the day there are people who do almost no tests and charge peanuts, and there are people who will do it properly and charge correctly....

I always visit a site before I agree a price as you can well and truly mislead by a caller on the phone....
Good. Point

If the EICR was "unsatisfactory" and you had the remedial work(s) done, then there should be no need for another EICR to be conducted as the remedial work(s) should have either an EIC or a MEWC. And as above, a days rate is about the going rate but the price of the day rate will depend on how much the electrician values their self!

Jay
So is there times that you would test others work or only your work

But would you bring down the price of the certificate if you put in the consumer unit as well so as it will be over a days rate

But would you bring down the price of the certificate if you put in the consumer unit as well so as it will be over a days rate

These are two totally different things. In your opinion you asked for an average testing price and nothing about a board swap but to answer that you should never swap a board without carrying a full test anyway so the price would reflect that.

Meant too say op not opinion.

An EICR is not testing someone else's work. It is a report on the condition of the installation. There are some LBC that will accept an EICR in the place of an EIC if the electrician hasn't done one and the customer can't get hold of them. I would NOT do an EIC for someone else's work because I wouldn't have seen it from start to finish. BUT as I said, an EICR is a report on the installation at the time of inspection and test.

Jay

ONLY if I was doing an EICR and its not testing others work, its just reporting on the condition of the property.

Are you making this deliberately difficult to understand wtf you are on about?

ONLY if I was doing an EICR and its not testing others work, its just reporting on the condition of the property.
I don't see the difference between testing work done by someone last week and work done 20 years ago. If you're doing an EICR, the age of the installation doesn't fundamentally affect the testing and inspection that you do. If whoever needs the paperwork is happy to pay for an EICR, then why not do it? Obviously, they need to understand that it is a report, not a certificate, and that there are limitations in the scope that aren't present when producing an EIC.

I don't see the difference between testing work done by someone last week and work done 20 years ago. If you're doing an EICR, the age of the installation doesn't fundamentally affect the testing and inspection that you do. If whoever needs the paperwork is happy to pay for an EICR, then why not do it? Obviously, they need to understand that it is a report, not a certificate, and that there are limitations in the scope that aren't present when producing an EIC.

I think the OP is asking about doing an EIC for someone else's work. Obviously, as you say, the install could be 2 weeks or 20 years old but it is still an EICR and yes technically, you are testing someone else work, unless it was you that did the original install 2 weeks or 20 years ago! But you are still just reporting on the condition of the install now.

Jay

We are almost always testing other people work. I've not done every install and alteration in my local area for sure.
An EIC certifies that the installation meets the required specs and will have had to include all the elements in its construction (unless design and installation are signed off by others).
All elements are inspected and tested.
For an EICR we are only required to test a proportion of the install based on what the client wants and what we find as we inspect and test. The assumption is that the installation is currently in service and we are checking its still safe to remain in service. And EIC we don't know the installation is safe until we test it as its never been in service.

I would imagine a request to do an EICR on a system that has evidence of uncertified and probably untested alterations and additions would ensure more detailed examination of those areas but even then its often not possible at that stage to access everything that can and should be during an EICR.

The guy is asking about cost of retesting. You don't retest the whole installation. You just test the parts that you have fixed and issue a EIC or MW. Referencing the original EICR on your certificates.

Reply to Price for test certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net