Discuss Prices per circuit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nicsin02

Hi guys, for youse guys out there that price testing work, how much do you charge per circuit? i think to charch £15 - £20 per circuit but a company from down south has started to steal some of our work with £7.50 per circuit, our gaffer has started to price jobs at £7.49 per circuit just so we have work and we have noticed that its putting far too much pressure on us testers, anybody else having such problems, cheers

I've read NAPIT suggest average of 45 minutes [0.75 hours] per circuit. That is an average for domestic circuits. Time saved on simple circuits, cooker, shower etc... will be taken on complex circuits, RFC, radial sockets and lighting.

Any pressure to compromise safety must be put in writing to your supervisor/manager/employer. It is not easy, I've been there. I've also represented people at Tribunal claiming unfair dismissal after breaches of safety procedures.

Always remember an employer can only act upon information available. If they have not been formally notified, they have no duty to act, because they can say thet were not aware of the matter!

Last edited by a moderator:
you can,t possibly make any cash with them rates thats gotta be less than there paying you an hour?

*** Com*l?ance have a min circuit target of 37 circuits per day, if you don't hit the target your down the road, testing is done on the computer!!!. So i hear .........

Not a chance! I've had sockets that have taken ages to put back on!
Theres no way in hell they are doing their jobs properly. I would point blank refuse to work like that. It makes my blood boil!

this is were its all going wrong are eicr are turning into the pat testeting con yes £18 £20 per circut is correct and yes 30-40 mins per circut is quite normal if your doing them correctly however these companies will go for the cheapest quote after all theve got the certs to show there insurance companies that its been done not right but its happening more and more

£7.50 per circuit. the report wouldn't be worth the paper its written on, and I'm saying that as a sole trader. As for a ltd company doing them for these prices - its a receipe for going bust.

murdoch its happening companys just doing live tests and visuals calculating the dead tests and just presuming the ir is ok cos it hasnt tripped the breaker wouldnt put my name to this but theres plenty who will just to make a quick buck

I just wonder how cheap an EICR can go as this now appears to be following the PAT pricing model. I don't see where you can make the money to cover the overheads at £7.50 / circuit doing it properly. As posted earlier there are companies are setting targets of 37 circuits / day and 15 minutes / circuit the operatives working for these companies are certainly putting themselves in the firing line if something that should have been found isn't and a fatality happens. Going at the base level of a 10% sample check of accessories there is no time for all the tests and documentation at 10 - 15 mins / circuit

This is where this thread loops back to the question of qualification and competence of both the tester and the company and/or person setting the targets. Given the current economic situation and the influx of newly trained electrical operatives (carefully chosen wording) looking for employment / experience chasing that elusive £50K they where promised and the bean counters looking to increase business and maximise there take is it any wonder that this industry is falling ever deeper into the abyss all with the previous governments legislated blessing (trying not to mention a particular section of the building regs) and the bodies they sanctioned to police it. I suppose it shows the desperation of the industry when people are are left with no alternative to work for these companies to earn a crust and putting their name to a document that could give them a stay in one of Her Majesty's Hotels if they are found to have been negligent in carrying out an inspection should an accident or fatality occur

I can only assume when prices are being driven down to this level these companies are looking to make the money back on rectifying defects assuming they have the time to find any

As an example of what some companies are at about 12 months ago a mate of mine had a PAT testing company contact him who offered a price for testing X number of appliances for a fixed price at one of his premises and offered to throw in a free socket safety check which involved using one of the plug in socket checkers how many people could or would be taken in by this as a definitive check of the condition of the socket installation

weve been told 15mins a circuit MAXIMUM :-(

Ask your ''gaffer'' as you call him to lead by example, and to show you how you can thoroughly test to EICR requirements, say a FRC in 15 minutes Max!!! If he can't do it, then he can't expect anyone else too either!!

Ask your ''gaffer'' as you call him to lead by example, and to show you how you can thoroughly test to EICR requirements, say a FRC in 15 minutes Max!!! If he can't do it, then he can't expect anyone else too either!!

The gaffer is probably an accountant and has no idea what the minions do at the basement level except that they are not earning the company enough because they are too slow doing their job

A certain company I know of based in England with testers here In Northern Ireland ask for 37 circuits a day with added incentives for any circuits beyond the daily quota! Extrapolation and inspection!

I should have said that after 37 circuits you are then on bonus : £2.50 per circuit. One "tester" tested 70 circuits in a hospital yesterday. He earned £100 for a days work plus 33 x £2.50 = £82.50 bonus... Times that by 5..... Thats why it's being done like that !!

I should have said that after 37 circuits you are then on bonus : £2.50 per circuit. One "tester" tested 70 circuits in a hospital yesterday. He earned £100 for a days work plus 33 x £2.50 = £82.50 bonus... Times that by 5..... Thats why it's being done like that !!

What was the Hospital Engineer (Engineering Manager) doing then?? As there is no way on this earth you can conduct all the tests required on the EICR test sheets on 70 circuits in a day... These EICR's your companies producing for clients aren't worth the paper they are written on.

What was the Hospital Engineer (Engineering Manager) doing then?? As there is no way on this earth you can conduct all the tests required on the EICR test sheets on 70 circuits in a day... These EICR's your companies producing for clients aren't worth the paper they are written on.

AGREE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE. It's criminal....."Watchdog" never replied either.

Reply to Prices per circuit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock