Discuss Pricing for fitting sub board and running two circuis in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Having problems convincing company owner that us doing this is not cost effective/best use of our expertise. We are typically travelling 2-300 miles and working away so I cannot see how it can be cost effective for us to be doing this.

1, If insufficient room/capacity in existing CU then fit a sub board with a 32a and 16a MCB. Max load 8Kw.

2, 6mm T&E from existing/new CU to a rotary isolator on an exterior wall. Load max 5Kw, cable length max 30m, ref method = worst case*, hence 6mm T&E.

A, Worst case, CU at front door, surface trunking to first floor,floor boards up on first floor to run cable to rear, drill trough and drop down to rotary isolator in PVC conduit.

B, Best case, CU in garage, clip direct for 5-10m,drill trough and drop down to rotary isolator in PVC conduit.
3, 2.5mm T&E from existing/new CU to hot water cylinder location. Terminate at a 13a unswitched FCU then spur to a 3a swiched FCU. Load max 3Kw, cable length max 30m, ref method = worst case*.

A, Worst case, CU at front door, two storey, surface trunking to loft and surface mount FCUs.​

B, Best case, CU in garage, clip direct for 5-10m and surface mount FCUs.
4, Test and issue EIC
I'd like to gauge peoples opinion of how long you'd expect to take doing this and how much you'd charge and finally is it the kind of work you'd take on.

All materials supplied by us.

PS - *worst case, cable in a wall and insulated +100mm.

Thanks in advance

Having problems convincing company owner that us doing this is not cost effective/best use of our expertise. We are typically travelling 2-300 miles and working away so I cannot see how it can be cost effective for us to be doing this.

1, If insufficient room/capacity in existing CU then fit a sub board with a 32a and 16a MCB. Max load 8Kw.

2, 6mm T&E from existing/new CU to a rotary isolator on an exterior wall. Load max 5Kw, cable length max 30m, ref method = worst case*, hence 6mm T&E.

A, Worst case, CU at front door, surface trunking to first floor,floor boards up on first floor to run cable to rear, drill trough and drop down to rotary isolator in PVC conduit.

B, Best case, CU in garage, clip direct for 5-10m,drill trough and drop down to rotary isolator in PVC conduit.
3, 2.5mm T&E from existing/new CU to hot water cylinder location. Terminate at a 13a unswitched FCU then spur to a 3a swiched FCU. Load max 3Kw, cable length max 30m, ref method = worst case*.

A, Worst case, CU at front door, two storey, surface trunking to loft and surface mount FCUs.​

B, Best case, CU in garage, clip direct for 5-10m and surface mount FCUs.
4, Test and issue EIC
I'd like to gauge peoples opinion of how long you'd expect to take doing this and how much you'd charge and finally is it the kind of work you'd take on.

All materials supplied by us.

PS - *worst case, cable in a wall and insulated +100mm.

Thanks in advance
Lots of worst and best case issues, but what is the job that you have been asked to do, honestly your post is a bit confusing

In Olde English I believe;

Looks like Solar immersion Immersion heater control.

The O.P is one of several employees.(we)
His boss has got this install work.
The O.P thinks it's not cost effective and would appear to not want to work away and or do this particular work.

Obviously his boss does otherwise he wouldn't have taken the work.
Crack on.

No idea how you think from a distance anyone can give a time scale.
Post is confusing, are you saying you either run a sub to a new board and terminated new circuits there or run new circuits back to existing board.
Why are you worrying about it being cost effective it isn't your company is it?

Post is confusing, are you saying you either run a sub to a new board and terminated new circuits there or run new circuits back to existing board.
Westy remember you are a Jedi Spark, and with that comes the power of the Force. Let it be with you always.

Lots of worst and best case issues, but what is the job that you have been asked to do, honestly your post is a bit confusing

Really does vary Pete, but it's an 8-16kw (real consumption 3-6Kw) output heat pump at the rotary switch. 2.5mm T&E for immersion and CH controls.

In Olde English I believe;

Looks like Solar immersion Immersion heater control.

The O.P is one of several employees.(we)
His boss has got this install work.
The O.P thinks it's not cost effective and would appear to not want to work away and or do this particular work.

Obviously his boss does otherwise he wouldn't have taken the work.
Crack on.

Not, quite. Have a bit more skin in the game than an employee but not enough to force change.
The OP knows it is not cost efficient.
The install work is our own sourced via our own sales, over 500/year. You're right that'd i'd rather not work away but it's not an option.
I'm actually trying to fit more per week by subbing out various parts of the job thus trying to get a handle on time and cost.

cheers

Sorry if it's confusing but the answer to you're question, sub board next to existing CU or as close as practicable, run circuits from their to locations specified above.

cherers

I'm mad enough :confused:
1 day best case, 2 days worst
( ducking and covering here now)
Similar to me, straight forward, existing CU, simple runs and it's a steady days work with a nice tidy job.

New CU, floor boards up, trunking and I'd taking a day and a half at breakneck speed.

I know there are almost too many variants to estimate accurately without seeing the job in person, I'm only after ball park figure.

Cheers

Reply to Pricing for fitting sub board and running two circuis in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net