Discuss Pricing on a job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kayloh

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

How much would it be for the following job?... relocating a double socket, data point and a TV point a metre across the wall. Also adding two extra sockets next to the relocated socket and to top it off, disconnecting two wall lights and leaving them safely in connector blocks for the time being...

Material cost was £20

Thanks very much

Hi all,

How much would it be for the following job?... relocating a double socket, data point and a TV point a metre across the wall. Also adding two extra sockets next to the relocated socket and to top it off, disconnecting two wall lights and leaving them safely in connector blocks for the time being...

Material cost was £20

Thanks very much
What is "safely in connector blocks."

Need a bit more info, such as:
What is the socket cabling layout, to ensure Part P compliance (or do you need to leave a blanking plate at old location)?
Is there already RCD protection (for new sockets), and earthing & bonding OK?

When I quote I state that its based on initial tests before I start being acceptable.
If they go ahead the first thing I do is test and if there's a problem at that point I speak to the client about the issue.
I explain the test and the failed result and what's likely to be involved in tracing it. That way I cover off needeing more access than possibly originally expected and more time and therefore cost.
Once the issue is found and the solution worked out I can then look at the additional time and decide if a cost adjustment is needed. Normally if its under 30 mins I absorb it but make it clear I've done that. (good will) if it's more than 30 mins I add on the extra time getting agreement then and there.
It normally doesn't hurt to make a point that it was good to have done the tests and found an issue that could have caused issues down the line.

What is "safely in connector blocks."

Two wall lights were wanted to be disconnected since they are going to put some shelves there but they want to use the same cables for led strip lights... so in the meantime I disconnected the lights and terminated the cables from the wall into 16A connector blocks with some insulation tape around it... and just for safe measure I disconnected the cable from the switch which is abit overkill...

Two wall lights were wanted to be disconnected since they are going to put some shelves there but they want to use the same cables for led strip lights... so in the meantime I disconnected the lights and terminated the cables from the wall into 16A connector blocks with some insulation tape around it... and just for safe measure I disconnected the cable from the switch which is abit overkill...
So the connectors are dead.

Just sticking in my bit of Xmas jolly ... these cables that used to have a wall light on the end are perhaps no longer in a safe zone? No light, no cable :)

Reply to Pricing on a job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net