Discuss Pricing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

menace 1984

Hi All

I'm in the beginning of trying to build a business for myself after 14 years in the trade. I'm struggling a little bit on trying to formally a pricing structure. I want to be competitively priced while making a good profit. Any tips on how to go about this.
I'm currently going in at £200 a day plus materials with 10% or £20 an hour on smaller jobs

Thanks all

Please be careful when talking about pricing on an open forum for all to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum... £20 for small jobs? How many of these do you think you can do properly in 1 day, including travelling etc - it won't be 10 and thats for sure.

How do you come to £20 per hour if your day rate is £200? Do you work 10 hours every day?

You should have an higher first hour rate IMHO and a higher "subsequent" hourly rate

I do charge double that for the first hour to cover travel. Wanted to know if fixed pricing on certain items works for anybody rather than a time structure. Just look for a bit of a bench mark. I use certain Web site to bring in work and I seem to be more expensive a lot of the time and I don't seem to be making much profit to reinvest in myself

As above, my hourly rate is more than my day rate divided by hours in a day.
This is to reflect the extra time involved with paperwork, travel, material sourcing etc associated with smaller jobs.
I also have a "first hour" rate to cover the callouts/really small jobs

Obviously people want to get the price down. Ito nice to know your pricing is right would hate anyone to think I'm trying to rip them off. Although pricing is individual to the company

If it's a good days work would you allow another half day or keep it at a day to keep the price down

You need to charge more for you first hour to cover getting to the job paper work etc , when working out your day rate you need to account for your holidays that you want get paid for

£50 call out/first hour then £30 thereafter, £240 a day average but can be anywhere from £200-£300 depending on circumstance. I used to be to soft and would say 'just call it........xyz'. But now I've got a more structured pricing list and I'm finally starting to see some profit, customers are happy haven't ever had one complain about price.

The OP isn't an Arms member and unfortunately requires 100 posts to qualify for access. Pricing structures aren't exactly trade secrets so you're welcome to discuss this in the public facing forums but please be aware what you post here is publicly viewable.

The OP isn't an Arms member and unfortunately requires 100 posts to qualify for access. Pricing structures aren't exactly trade secrets so you're welcome to discuss this in the public facing forums but please be aware what you post here is publicly viewable.

So a keen DIYer with 100 posts can be in the arms?

most plasterers and painters charge £20 per hour

try a week of charging £35 per hour and see how it goes, dont budge, be strong, if your worth it, decent customers wont bat an eyelid

the sparks who have got the balls to charge proper money are the ones who do well(as long as they are worth it)

so many trades undercharge and always complain theres no money in it!!

Heres the five secrets to earning decent money as a tradesmen

1. Build the confidence to charge what your worth

2. Dont ever work on a day rate, always work on a fixed price

3. learn to be fast, efficient and highly organised

4. constantly be pruning your customer base of bad customers, so you have time and room for new good quality customers

5. Rinse and repeat

£££££££££££

Reply to Pricing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock