Discuss pricing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The fact you're asking suggests you're new to self-employment or planning to go that way. Go on the basis that the first two or three months are a paid learning curve when you'll win some and lose some. After a while you'll get the hang of it.

PJ

Hello sparks

Whats best way of pricing for a job

Per point.
Per hour.
Per day.
Including 10%.

I'm pretty new to pricing as well and always find it difficult.

For smaller jobs I tend to quote as I am getting to know how long it will take me and what is involved. For larger jobs (when I say larger I mean something that will take a few days - thats big for me!) I tend to charge per hour, I give the customer a rough idea of how long it will take but I make it VERY clear that it is an estimate and may take longer if I come across complications, or sometimes shorter, in which case they pay less.

Initially I did not add on anything to my material costs, but I realised that I was spending quite a bit of time choosing and sourcing the materials so I now add on a bit, perhaps 10-15%.

Thanks for your input, I'm thinking of charging £25 an hour on hourly basis including 10% for any complications ,not an easy thing to do is pricing, never know if am charging too much or too cheap

If you're charging too much you'll be constantly undercut, too little and you'll get every job and never make any money. The local economy will dictate what you can get away with, the more you price the better you'll get at it.
At a guess I'd say £25ph was light for London but others will tell you better than me.

I've found that it doesn't really matter what you quote (within reason) when dealing with the general public. If they like you and think that you're professional, then they'll have you.
I've lost track of the number of times that someone has said to me "You're the 3rd electrician I've had out, and I really didn't like the first 2. When can you start?"

If, on the other hand, you're quoting for a builder/developer, then price is everything.

Btw, you shouldn't start a business "guessing" how much to charge. Work out your running costs, overheads, salary required to pay your bills etc and base your costs on what you need to stay in business.

I've found that it doesn't really matter what you quote (within reason) when dealing with the general public. If they like you and think that you're professional, then they'll have you.
I've lost track of the number of times that someone has said to me "You're the 3rd electrician I've had out, and I really didn't like the first 2. When can you start?"

If, on the other hand, you're quoting for a builder/developer, then price is everything.

Btw, you shouldn't start a business "guessing" how much to charge. Work out your running costs, overheads, salary required to pay your bills etc and base your costs on what you need to stay in business.

Spot on, your probably more bothered about the price of the job than a customer most of the time

and if that aint the case find a different customer

let your service and recommendation get you the jobs never your price!

Thanks for your input, I'm thinking of charging £25 an hour on hourly basis including 10% for any complications ,not an easy thing to do is pricing, never know if am charging too much or too cheap

I have a fixed invoice duplicate sheet i had printed up for small jobs(from an hours call out up to a day)

it has a fixed price for a call out and first hour, up to two hours, up to three hours, half a day then a day

plus a column for materials , then plus vat

it really helps with keeping your rate and profit margin consisstant, you dont want to be doing a job then a customer says 'how much mate' then puts you on the spot and you say somthing silly like £30 when really it should of been about £65

oh and and nearly all my rates/ prices etc end in a 5 too so, £55, £85 ,£2455
as if you get a customer pay in cash they most likely will only have a ten, i always offer the change mind, but 9 times out of ten they let you keep it, over a year this will probably add up to a few hundred quid

pricework
any bigger jobs then learn your capabilities and speed and if your reasonably fast working, always work from a fixed price quotation as youll earn more money that way, well you should do!

Email
always communicate everything through email too if you can, it provides you with a nice record if there is any discrepancies later, go into detail on exactly what you are and are not allowing for within the job your pricing, verbal agreements are dangerous and you will be amazed at how peoples memoryies change over time

Invoicing
get yourself a good invoicing program, i use SLIQ its pretty cheap, looks very professional and you can email pdf quotes and invoices to customers easily, it also does alot of your accounts too

certificates
much the same as invoicing, get a decent program and email them along with your invoices
DONT hand write them out if you want to make any sort of impression on your customers, especially if your hand writing is like mine, and also if they lose it they can print off another one

materials,
you need to put at LEAST a 20% mark up on general materials such as cable etc, smaller items like back boxes etc i mark up by 100%, but i buy as much as i can it bulk and the price i charge the customer is around the same as what they would pay in B&Q etc

scrap
keep all your off cuts and ripped out cable put it in bags in the shed, make a habit of this, i take it down and weigh it in around 2/3 times a year and get around £1k a year from this(it will depend on how busy you are but its a good habit to get in to)

Look the part
get a half decent van, get it sign written, get decent business cards printed, keep them in your wallet,
get shirts with your bus.name and scheme logo on,
get a website and a proper bus. email account
NOT [email protected] etc you want [email protected]

Invest in looking as professional as possible, the more like a business you look the more you can warrant charging, and you can set yourself apart from all the local'sparkys'

And remember every part of your business that takes your time and effort needs to make you money

Last edited:
Best way to start pricing a job is list everything you are going to need and put a price to it. List everything, back boxes, sockets, cable(over estimate), screws, wall plugs, sleeping, etc, etc
then think how much do I need to make off this job to make it viable for me to do?
add prices together there's your price.

Wow welchyboy you lil sneak lol. I love that 'end everything in £5'

Talk loads to customers...I mean loads. I treat some small domestic jobs like a visit to long lost friend...if they offer you a cuppa tea when they know you have already packed up...do it! I have the cuppa and natter and 80% of the time I either get extra money when they pay or gift certificates through the post! I also get the bonus of a walking advertisement board as they rave about the friendly and honest electrician.

Wow welchyboy you lil sneak lol. I love that 'end everything in £5'

Talk loads to customers...I mean loads. I treat some small domestic jobs like a visit to long lost friend...if they offer you a cuppa tea when they know you have already packed up...do it! I have the cuppa and natter and 80% of the time I either get extra money when they pay or gift certificates through the post! I also get the bonus of a walking advertisement board as they rave about the friendly and honest electrician.

Spot on there with making an impression and becoming somebody the customer trusts. I always take time carrying out tests prior to any quote, which gives the customer time to get used to having you in their home. Once the person is comfortable with you, then you become the obvious choice.

If they like you and trust you. Your price wont matter. I only ever have to price for construction comoanies. Private customers tell me to do the work regardless of cost

Reply to pricing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net