Discuss Problem in a junction box ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jimmy928

Hi There,

First of all I am not a electrician, I am a carpenter. But my client has had a recent problem with a series of lights... and I am just seeing if its something that I could possibly fix or it is something more serious and need to get a registered electrician in.

There is 7 different light switches in the room. the first 5 work fine. then the last 2 are not working right...
first of all I put my electricity wand up to the light fitting and it is indicated its live so we tried new bulbs/new light batten... still not working so I brought a voltage tester and its reading 2 volts ???

could this mean that maybe the neutral wire has come loose in the junction box when we have re-insulated & plaster boarded the ceiling ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

James

carefully measure the voltage L - E at the light when it's supposed to be on. if you get 240V (ish) then it's a sure sign that the neutral has been lost. i am assuming that the cpc (earth ) has been connected and not just cut off as a builder would do.

carefully measure the voltage L - E at the light when it's supposed to be on. if you get 240V (ish) then it's a sure sign that the neutral has been lost. i am assuming that the cpc (earth ) has been connected and not just cut off as a builder would do.

Thanks for the reply.

I tested the five lights that I'm guesting are previous in the circuit and I was getting 220v (ish) but then on the some voltage setting I was get 1-2 volts on the next light. I'm going to have to look more into it tomorrow when I get back to work. just hope I'm not going to have to start cutting holes in the ceiling trying to find the junction box.

so if you get 230V L - E then it's a lost N. may be easier to lift boards upstairs than cut the ceiling. current regs. stipulate that inaccessible junction boxes installed nowadays must now be maintenance free, e.g. wagos in an enclosure instead of screw terminals.

so if you get 230V L - E then it's a lost N. may be easier to lift boards upstairs than cut the ceiling. regs. stipulate that inaccessible junction boxes must now be maintenance free, e.g. wagos in an enclosure instead of screw terminals.

Ok great thanks for the help. I will test it again tomorrow and also check to make sure the switch is working correctly.

I have just tested the light and it seems like the current is working against each other??? It's giving me. Reading of 5 then drops to -5 then goes back to 5... And so on. Sounds like positive and neutral and around the wrong way?

those low readings that you are getting are probably spurious and irrelevant. told you earlier. read the voltage L-E.

The readings you are getting with your "magic wand" are typical of voltages just being picked up in the wiring. You will get this with wands, and many digital multimeters as they have a high impedance.

You really need a proper two probe voltage tester to do any sensible testing.

Problem in a junction box ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The readings you are getting with your "magic wand" are typical of voltages just being picked up in the wiring. You will get this with wands, and many digital multimeters as they have a high impedance.

You really need a proper two probe voltage tester to do any sensible testing.
or a properly certified wet finger. :mamazed:

Reply to Problem in a junction box ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock