Discuss Problem RCD warning in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest111

Hi all,sorry if this has been posted before but just thought I,d bring it up anyway as it seems kind of important.I have just recently read an item in a magazine and it mentioned that a few people had had RCD,s blow up when they pressed the test button,didn,t mention any specific make of RCD but it was published in a well known magazine,now I don,t want to get involved in all kinds of arguments with this one,can it can,t it etc just thought I,d mention it, as I said appologies if it has already been mentioned but if something can go bang I guess we,d all like to be aware beforehand.

Talking of Wylex, I used to hate their cartridge fuse boards. The way they held the BS 88 fuse was a nightmare. I saw a few of them that would arc & burn the board. One burned nearly half the board to a charred mess. Replaced it with a Crabtree split load.

Hi all,sorry if this has been posted before but just thought I,d bring it up anyway as it seems kind of important.I have just recently read an item in a magazine and it mentioned that a few people had had RCD,s blow up when they pressed the test button,didn,t mention any specific make of RCD but it was published in a well known magazine,now I don,t want to get involved in all kinds of arguments with this one,can it can,t it etc just thought I,d mention it, as I said appologies if it has already been mentioned but if something can go bang I guess we,d all like to be aware beforehand.

Can you provide a link to magazine article in question? It's difficult to comment on the subject without knowing the context of the text.

Someone posted a topic on here before about an RCD that blew up when they pushed the test button. I think it was titled 'push to test' but not sure

their has been a flood of blackmarket illegal copies of electrical goods and although steps have been taken to stop them getting onto wholesalers shelfs occasionally they do, their has been programmes on it regarding 100amp main switches setting on fire, or blowing up when used but it goes without saying other devices will be cloned, we the end user would find it almost impossible to tell the difference till its too late, but its a reminder to buy legit and avoid internet sales from unknown sources.

their has been a flood of blackmarket illegal copies of electrical goods and although steps have been taken to stop them getting onto wholesalers shelfs occasionally they do, their has been programmes on it regarding 100amp main switches setting on fire, or blowing up when used but it goes without saying other devices will be cloned, we the end user would find it almost impossible to tell the difference till its too late, but its a reminder to buy legit and avoid internet sales from unknown sources.

There are MCBs that just have a wire straight through with a switch in the middle. So it is just that, a switch

It seems pointless to give a warning and then no details. Give a link to the article or magazine.

Why is it pointless? it's still a warning & I thought everyone knew about it? Just make sure you buy stock from a valid source & you're covered. I think it was professional Electrician, but I can 't be sure, it was a reprint.

With counterfeit goods making their way into the industry, four leading industry associations (BEAMA, ECA, SELECT and EDA) have come together to create the Electrical Installation Industry Charter – an agreement that commits members to refuse trade in counterfeit products. Voltimum has just launched a new and informative website, www.counterfeit-kills.co.uk

Pity, I’ve just looked at your previous posts.

Here's some more info on fake electrical fittings!

Counterfeits include surge protectors, power strips, extension cords, batteries, lamps, electronic ballasts, smoke detectors, industrial control relays, conduit fittings, cables, and connectors. They also include wiring accessories such as plugs, socket outlets, plate switches, RCDs, MCBs, MCCBs and fuses.

Reply to Problem RCD warning in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock