Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Problem with a timer fan on light circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Tilecutter

Tilecutter Active EF Member

I fitted a 6" fan yesterday to an existing circuit that was already in. The existing fan had been taken out and the hole tiled over by the previous owner of the property and an illuminated mirror hung in its place that was powered by the switched live. The pemanant live was taped up. I core drilled the hole back out and fitted the timer fan. All went wrong when the fan didnt stop. I returned it thinking it was dodgy, and refitted as new one. Same problem. On investigation I have found a small voltage in the upstairs lighting circuit in all of the rooms eyeball fittings when the lights are switched off. I thought the fault must be in the nuetral as every room is affected. Im going to return tomorrow and test the circuit with my meters. Any one got any pointers as Im flumaxed as to where it might be coming from? The property is a Dorma Bungalow with a flat roof so no access to the JB's.

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

What voltage did you have on the Switched live when it was supposed to be off?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Dead tests to confirm you have the PL, SL and N identified correctly would be a good start

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Think some rudimentary tests were required as opposed to thinking the fan was dodgy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    was a recent thread on similar problem. turned out that the fan, once powered up, ran for 30 minutes before resetting. and reverting to normal operation. could be the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    30 mins is a long time when having fitted the fan. Can you remember if it said it in the manufacturers instructions? sometimes they have some useful information in them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tilecutter

Im getting about 9 volts

8. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

. upload_2017-8-11_19-25-21.png there you go help you self to this diagram. and don't for get a timed isolator switch
    with out blowing you self to bits .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tilecutter

Theres no mention of anything in the instructions. Powered it down at the fuse before making any adjustments also

10. buzzlightyear

is it on a battery!

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    on the thread i mentioned where OP has same thing, fan would not stop, the OP came back and said he'd gone back, powered it up again and it ran for 30 mins then stopped, then worked as normal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Some fans do go for a long run after initial power up. Most recent a Soler & Palau in line unit (picked cause it doesn't ask for an efenfuse). I recalled "the watched pot never boils" and just ignored it. Came back about an hour later and it was good as gold.

• Like Like x 2
  13. buzzlightyear

how to fit it ,it was made for competent electricians to fit
    and not you. buy looking at you thread .

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

most fans are set at 20 mins at the factories ..............

15. Tilecutter

Yes it was set at 15 mins. I wound it up to 30 before powering up. I was talking to the customer for a good 40 mins and it wasnt stopping. It was 10 pm when I decided to eliminate the fan problem first as the job is out in the sticks and the fan was sourced locally to me. I have identified the wires correctly.

• Like Like x 1