Discuss Problem with a timer fan on light circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I fitted a 6" fan yesterday to an existing circuit that was already in. The existing fan had been taken out and the hole tiled over by the previous owner of the property and an illuminated mirror hung in its place that was powered by the switched live. The pemanant live was taped up. I core drilled the hole back out and fitted the timer fan. All went wrong when the fan didnt stop. I returned it thinking it was dodgy, and refitted as new one. Same problem. On investigation I have found a small voltage in the upstairs lighting circuit in all of the rooms eyeball fittings when the lights are switched off. I thought the fault must be in the nuetral as every room is affected. Im going to return tomorrow and test the circuit with my meters. Any one got any pointers as Im flumaxed as to where it might be coming from? The property is a Dorma Bungalow with a flat roof so no access to the JB's.

was a recent thread on similar problem. turned out that the fan, once powered up, ran for 30 minutes before resetting. and reverting to normal operation. could be the same thing.

30 mins is a long time when having fitted the fan. Can you remember if it said it in the manufacturers instructions? sometimes they have some useful information in them.

on the thread i mentioned where OP has same thing, fan would not stop, the OP came back and said he'd gone back, powered it up again and it ran for 30 mins then stopped, then worked as normal.

Some fans do go for a long run after initial power up. Most recent a Soler & Palau in line unit (picked cause it doesn't ask for an efenfuse). I recalled "the watched pot never boils" and just ignored it. Came back about an hour later and it was good as gold.

Dead tests to confirm you have the PL, SL and N identified correctly would be a good start
Think some rudimentary tests were required as opposed to thinking the fan was dodgy.
most fans are set at 20 mins at the factories ..............
Yes it was set at 15 mins. I wound it up to 30 before powering up. I was talking to the customer for a good 40 mins and it wasnt stopping. It was 10 pm when I decided to eliminate the fan problem first as the job is out in the sticks and the fan was sourced locally to me. I have identified the wires correctly.

Reply to Problem with a timer fan on light circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net