Discuss Problem with a timer fan on light circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ive disconnected the SL and with the light switch off if I touch it to the SL terminal and then remove it the fan runs for set time as its supposed to. It is something to do with the voltage constantly in the SL thats still sending a signal?
I'm not following, sorry. This seems to say your manual SL makes the fan work normally, but put SL on a light switch (that's connected to the same circuit) and it's playing up? If so, isn't it the switch? Hasn't got leakage current from a neon perhaps? Or a dimmer ?

I'm not following, sorry. This seems to say your manual SL makes the fan work normally, but put SL on a light switch (that's connected to the same circuit) and it's playing up? If so, isn't it the switch? Hasn't got leakage current from a neon perhaps? Or a dimmer ?
If I diconnect the SL once the fan has activated it runs and stops as normal once the time has elapsed. Which leads me to thinking because theres a constant voltage in the SL ( although only low) it dosnt think youve switched off.

If I diconnect the SL once the fan has activated it runs and stops as normal once the time has elapsed. Which leads me to thinking because theres a constant voltage in the SL ( although only low) it dosnt think youve switched off.
You could put a small load on the SL and see if it fixes it? Pilot lamp perhaps?

Theres a couple of dimmers on the downstairs circuit. I have knocked all fuses off to all circuits bar the upstairs which hasnt got any

What voltage did you have on the Switched live when it was supposed to be off?
I tested with a Fluke T120 Its not supposed to give a LCD readout below 12 volts but if I switched the light switch on it read 247v and when off it went down the scale and rested at 9 v. I usually just get red lights illuminated and a buzzer at 12 volts on the scale on the meter. Which tells me its less than 12

Hi - thought was to try a small load from SL to N at the fan. Purpose is to clamp off SL to zero volts when light switch is open. It will only have effect if there is leakage through the switch or induced voltage from other cables. Good hunting !

My Fluke 110 gives me or sorts 'low' voltage readings, which I don't believe in :). Have you tried measuring this 9 volts with an analogue meter, before you get led up the garden path?

You've ruled out the fan as being the problem as far as I can see, so now you need to track down where the this 9V is coming from.

What have you measured the 9V with reference to, earth or neutral?
if you have a suitable multimeter then try measuring it with that, I suspect it will give a higher voltage reading.

I think the simplest explanation for a voltage on the S/L when it shouldn't be is that the switch is not operating correctly, so I'd be inclined to test that first.

Reply to Problem with a timer fan on light circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net