Discuss Problem with adding a spur to a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to add a spur to a socket on a ring final circuit. , but I can't get all three cables to make a good tight connection in the socket terminals when I tighten them up.
Can I put the two ring final cables and the spur cable into a wago connector (one with the levers), and then add a short length of cable from the wago to the socket itself?
Thanks!

Hi,

I am trying to add a spur to a socket on a ring final circuit. , but I can't get all three cables to make a good tight connection in the socket terminals when I tighten them up.
Can I put the two ring final cables and the spur cable into a wago connector (one with the levers), and then add a short length of cable from the wago to the socket itself?
Thanks!
Is the existing socket flush mounted or surface mounted?

Flush mounted, it's an ordinary decorative double socket.
Thanks that's my suggestion out of the question then,I can't see your profile so I will ask "are you an Electrician?" It looks from your question that you are not, so best get a sparky in to add a socket for you.

Try doubling up the conductor s going to be spare, giving a bit more to grip to . If it's that you forcing the socket on and their not enough space you may have to sink a deeper back box .

Thanks that's my suggestion out of the question then,I can't see your profile so I will ask "are you an Electrician?" It looks from your question that you are not, so best get a sparky in to add a socket for you.
No I'm not an electrician, but I am confident in doing small electrical jobs that don't require notification in my own property.
I have added spurs in my previous house successfully, but have not yet come across a socket that will not tighten up 3 cables tightly.

Try changing the socket for a better one that will hopefully allow the 3 lots of cables.

Try changing the socket for a better one that will hopefully allow the 3 lots of cables.
That was actually my initial thought, but it is a decorative socket, and there are other sockets of the same type in the room, all visible, so the misses didn't like that idea when I suggested it!

Try doubling up the conductor s going to be spare, giving a bit more to grip to . If it's that you forcing the socket on and their not enough space you may have to sink a deeper back box .
There's plenty of space in the back box. I'll try doubling the conductors tomorrow, and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you can arrange the cores in a triangle formation so that the terminal screw presses first on the top core and spreads the two lower ones this should hold effectively.

Is this a Crabtree Socket? For some reason they love to make their terminals nice n snug. Never had a problem with fitting three cores into a MK.

If you can arrange the cores in a triangle formation so that the terminal screw presses first on the top core and spreads the two lower ones this should hold effectively.
The terminal is too wide. All the conductors lie flat at the bottom, so the ones at the side are not clamped down tightly.

Is this a Crabtree Socket? For some reason they love to make their terminals nice n snug. Never had a problem with fitting three cores into a MK.
It's a Tenby socket. They are no longer manufactured, although you can find them on eBay.

The terminal is too wide. All the conductors lie flat at the bottom, so the ones at the side are not clamped down tightly.
that reinforces previous post to double over the end of the spur cable,

Reply to Problem with adding a spur to a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net