Discuss Problem with RCD tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trevormbush

Ive installed an additional RCD onto an existing Wylex board that already had one RCD, however a breaker on the old RCD circuit is tripping the new RCD and for the life of me I cant figure out why. Anybody have any ideas?

Did you install a separate neutral bar for this additional RCD?

You have either a borrowed/crossed neutral on one of the circuits or you have neutral(s) in the CU crossed between the neutral bars.

Did you test all the circuits before you split them across the two RCD's?

Come across similar. Turned out liggts had been split upstairs and downstsirs but the upstairs lights had borrowed a neutral off the downstairs lights

Come across similar. Turned out liggts had been split upstairs and downstsirs but the upstairs lights had borrowed a neutral off the downstairs lights

I want to know why and how the 2nd RCD has been added....... unless the OP answers us we are pxssing in the wind.

He's online so heres hoping for a response....

There was originally an RCD on the board but for whatever reason the previous owner of the house (a self confessed DIYer) had taken the RCD out. My initial thinking is the same as chopper that there is a borrowed neutral somewhere else.

I should have also mentioned that I tested all the circuits before adding the additional RCD and they worked fine. I have also checked and all the neturals are split correctly. Each line has its own netural which is in the correct place. Im thiking Im going to rebuild the board just for my own sanity.

Sound like simple borrowed neutral to me. Try narrowing it down by putting both lighting circuits together and see if it trips then. If it doesnt then probs borrowed neutral on the landing/stairs. If not try the same for both sockets circuits.

obviousy the home owner had the same problem, and that,s why he removed it. i'd first check where the L to the 2 way landing light comes from. you could try putting both light circuits on the same RCD. if it don't trip then, that's your answer.

Ok. Which circuit do you think might be causing the tripping.................................................................................

This is like pulling teeth.

Reply to Problem with RCD tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net