Discuss Proxy server in China in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sintra

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok if this can be done I need it explained in very simple terms. I will possibly be going to Beijing soon to do some work for 4 weeks leading up to Christmas. Now the last time I was there a few years back I couldn't get decent internet access as everything was blocked. Now I have been told you need to connect to a proxy server whatever that is to get on to proper sites. How do I do this, I will have lap top, iphone and iPad so if someone could tell me how to connect at least one of these it would be appreciated.

Thanks guys I will try those out.

Ok so I get a VPN while I'm still in the UK and set it up on the devices before I go. Tbh I'm still stumped with all this but thanks for your reply.

Forgive me for commenting on a week old thread but what are the laws regarding VPN's and proxy servers in China? I would not like to be caught out over there and face and legal consequences.

dont mean to stir the cauldron......

I know a lot of people visiting the far east used to just use the TOR network (ONION ROUTING) for normal browsing etc. It can get congested and become too slow for moving large files around but good for normal use.

Cheers Marvo will have a look at that when I get home.

Here's a link to the preconfigured Firefox browser developed and recommended by the TOR Project developers. It will probably make you life much easier because it's straight forward to set up, there's videos and tutorials on the same page I linked and there's support available on the TOR forums. TOR network is also more secure than almost all VPN's and proxies available plus it's free.

Forgive me for commenting on a week old thread but what are the laws regarding VPN's and proxy servers in China? I would not like to be caught out over there and face and legal consequences.

dont mean to stir the cauldron......

Good point but I honestly don't have a clue. Wouldn't like to be caught at something illegal out there.

Here's a link to the preconfigured Firefox browser developed and recommended by the TOR Project developers. It will probably make you life much easier because it's straight forward to set up, there's videos and tutorials on the same page I linked and there's support available on the TOR forums. TOR network is also more secure than almost all VPN's and proxies available plus it's free.

Mate you're a star :)

You're welcome. Just read the fine print because I'm not sure how compatible it is with mobile devices, it was originally meant for PC and laptops but I assume they'll cater for the gadget crowd nowadays. Just for interest let me know how you get on if you install it.

Will do mate. I'll have a try at it tomorrow as I've had a long day lol :)

tor isnt as secure as a proper vpn based in another country. google the onion router

the problem with tor is your traffic goes through a random server at the end and that could br anyone that could be logging it etc

It was actually very simple to sort out in the end as I was able to connect to our office server and use that as a VPN. You live and learn lol.

Reply to Proxy server in China in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock