1. Just upgrading some bits and bobs. Hang in there
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss Public liability insurance? in the Insurance for Electricians area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. bluesky

bluesky Electrician's Arms

if i am running a home based electrician business, is Public Liability Insurance really necessary?

'Public Liability Insurance Cover should be considered if members of the public, clients or customers visit your premises. If you run a home-business, and customers sometimes visit you there, public liability cover might also be a good idea.'

if i work at home, the possibility of clients visiting me is very slim! also i dont think anything at home can be harmful to visitors!

also i am asking the difference between 'Public Liability Insurance' and 'professional indemnity insurance', are they the same thing?

VAN INSURANCE - CLICK HERE - NEW THREAD

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Amp David

Amp David Trusted Advisor

Whats happens if one does visit, then on their way out trips over a door thresh hold and brakes an arm?

3. acat

acat Guest

You dont have to have it but if you dont one claim against you could cost you everything you own is it worth that risk when you consider the cost of peace of mind.

Chris

4. bluesky

i understand that for most small business it is definately important, but for an self-employed electrician i just dont see any chance of a client's visiting

5. acat

acat Guest

Do you do all your work at home:confused: what happens if you are working at a customers house and you drill through a water pipe causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage.

Chris

6. patricklondon

patricklondon Guest

you need it to be registered as a domestic installer

7. bluesky

right, i see, so it is important....

so which insurance provider is a good one? how much appoximately does it cost?

also for professional indemnity insurance?

8. JASON

JASON Electrician's Arms

Public liability covers you for actual damage or injury etc to others.

Professional covers you for your "expert opinion" eg, you PIR a property which you deem as safe but someone gets a shock from something etc etc.

9. Amp David

Amp David Trusted Advisor

Its needed to cover yourself whilst working in other people properties.

10. bluesky

thanks...

if i only do installation, no inspection involved, can i ignore professional indemnity insurance?

11. acat

acat Guest

Yes you can ignore professional providing you are not giving advise.

Chris

12. holte end74

holte end74 Guest

how much would a electrician expect to pay for public liability insurence?

13. D80

D80 Guest

For a sole trader in region of £50-100 a year for 2M of cover

14. darkwood

darkwood Dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had. Staff Member

i dont have prof' indemnity as my public liabilty should cover all my situations, but if i was to tell the customer that they can carry on using a machine and it safe to do so even though they are concerned about something then the machine as a result of my advice broke-down or injured someone then i would need it, but if someone was injured etc while i was working on it then public liability would cover me, so it comes down to always been over cautious just i case and never saying something can be run or used until you have fully weighed up the situe.

15. JASON

JASON Electrician's Arms

As said, you only need PI if you are reporting on installations or similar.

PL is a diff beast altogether.

16. smithy

smithy EF Member

Was just reading this discussion and remember another post on the forums last month...

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/business-related/11487-public-liability-insurance.html

It is so cheap for public liability it is daft not to have it. £60 a year for me which works out less than 17p a day and each one of these days I can go to work knowing that I can cause £2million of damage or injury and I'm covered (maybe not the best way to look at it but it's true)!

17. cornburn

cornburn Regular EF Member

Mine's about £105 a year and I get to cause £5 million of damage and injury. Nya nya!!

18. smithy

smithy EF Member

hehe!! I noticed when I was getting quotes that there was little difference in price between 1, 2 and 5 million. Personally I can't see how I could cause £1 million of injury/damage even if I tried, let alone £5 million. Think I only took £2 million as it was only about £15 more but to be honest it is probably £15 wasted.

19. cornburn

cornburn Regular EF Member

Local council here specify minimum 5 mil that's the only reason I have it. I'm sure 2 mil should do you fine :p

20. smithy

smithy EF Member

Ah Yes! Remember one of my plumbing chums mentioning this before. Nice to know the council trust us tradesmen so much that neither 1 or 2 million cover gives them enough piece of mind!

1 person likes this.