Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

?

Pull the fuse or let the relevant organisation handle it?

1. Pull it myself and reseal with some seals I found hanging out the back of a wagon

50 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Pull it myself but don't reseal - the seal was missing in the first place anyway if anyone asks

98 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Not my job, let the relevant organisation handle it - they are quite good at working around me

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Not my job, let the relevant organisation handle it - even if it throws my diary out of whack

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Pull it myself and reseal with a SSE temporary seal

13 vote(s)
    7.4%
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. hightower

hightower Trainee Electrician's Arms

So, anonymous poll - who pulls the main fuse when required (ie CU change) and who get's the DNO/supplier/whoever in to sort it?

2. hightower

Just want to add I know this has been done to death, but don't think there has been a poll on it.

I've just phoned up DNO for clarification. "Oh no, you need to phone the supplier, that's their issue". So I phoned up the supplier, EDF in this case, and asked if I could pull the main fuse - "Oh, right" as if she'd never heard the request before, "give me a minute while I speak to a manager". About 2 or 3 minutes later and she returns to say "we can't say do it, only that as an electrical contractor it would be your decision whether to or not". I said "if I took the decision to cut seals and do it, would you be knocking at my door?" to which she replied "oh no, not at all. It's up to you to take the decision whether it is safe to remove the fuse, but if you have any issues with the removal just give us a call back and we'll take it from there"

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Rpa07

Rpa07 1000 posts only 44653 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Quite a useful reply that Hightower, gives the go ahead but at the same time says get in touch if you're 'scared'.

4. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Did you record this conversation? What proof do you have that they have said this, if they change their mind in a week or so? CYA.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hightower

I record all phone calls :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. hightower

Haha, do you think it was a professional way of calling me a chicken?

• Like Like x 2
  7. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

No it's them being non committal. Do you think they really want to send a man with a van to 'pull' a fuse.
    If you do pull it , it's your responsibility, but have you ever heard of anyone who has been prosecuted for it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. amlu

amlu Trusted Advisor

Let the fuse fairies deal with it :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. hightower

All I'm saying is their response to me was a little different to 'don't touch it at any cost' mentality that is traditionally linked with suppliers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Electric Magic

Electric Magic Electrician's Arms

If you're not in a rush Hightower EDF is one of the few suppliers that will fit an isolator for free. That said, they're not always the best at keeping appointments (or rather, the company that they sub it out to).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Think will depend on your DNO. Mine SSE, if you are in a scheme, obtain temporary self adhesive seal from local deposit, pull their main fuse, do work, replace main fuse, apply temporary seal, inform local depot, giving them their temporary seal number. I also use same seals to reseal meter terminal cover, even if it's not SSE, get customer to ring supplier (although not technically correct). Suppliers will only speak to customer, not electrician, but given my details, customer has never had issue.
    As this is not an option in your poll, I can't vote in your poll. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Agree with Midwest. Would be worth adding the SSE temporary seal as an option.
    Although, if there's no seal in the first place, I won't necessarily add one at the end of the job.

If it's not an SSE area, I'll pull the fuse anyway (if it's safe and in good condition).

• Like Like x 1
  13. hightower

Not sure I can edit the poll now, perhaps an admin could add the additional answer?

14. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

That's the crux of it to be honest.

My side of the water always give permission if they have dealt with you before . I have never been asked to contact the supplier, unless I have hit on and they have been the supplier too.
    I thought the DNO owned the cut out and the supplier started from the meter.

15. hightower

That's what I thought until the DNO palmed me off to the supplier. She said they'd only send someone themselves if the install was in a dangerous condition.

• Like Like x 1