Discuss Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes but the gloves on their own offer no mechanical protection - nothing to stop the gloves being pierced. They should be used in conjunction with suitable overgloves

Can certainly tell the domestic boys in this thread haha.

Not having a dig at being safety conscious mind, if it makes you happy go for it.

Funny that down under the spark fits the meter and installs the service cable and connect it live to the over heads or onto the under ground service as long as you have the licenses.But any spark can pull the service fuse.That why all the sparks drive round with fiberglass ladders on there vans.
Done five years down there went it went ---- up here in 2007. Couldn't bring myself to drop my prices. Banks hate them.
They do have inspectors that check your first five jobs from energy Australia or country energy and then as long as your standards are good, its every now and then.
The license setup works well but there's lots of cowboys out there in the city's it's good work and new stuff is checked well.Any thing over 15/20 old is well hairy stuff.

Hey Guy's,

I do alot of DNO work, LV live jointing ,OHL's, service head installs etc. I know it's a pain when your changing a dis board and the supplier never installed an isolator for you to turn power out. Bottom line is you should contact the supplier to arrange with DNO to come out and pull fuse from head or install a secondary cut out for you. I have never heard of a DNO letting an electrician pull one of their fuses. I carry out work on UKPN,SSE,WPD,NPG,SCOTTISH POWER networks and they wouldn't allow you. To put things into perspective when I'm working with DNO gear I have to wear Flame retardant overalls/Flash proof, safety glasses/face shield, Lv gloves with over leather gauntlets. I'm not scare mongering at all here guys (not my style) however these supplies aren't backed up by a fancy rcd and I have seen first hand the results when stuff go's wrong. Just be patient, putting a job back a couple of weeks is better than hurting yourself.

I have never heard of a DNO letting an electrician pull one of their fuses. I carry out work on UKPN,SSE,WPD,NPG,SCOTTISH POWER networks and they wouldn't allow you.

https://www.ssepd.co.uk/Connections/usefuldocuments/

Scroll down to 'Electrical contractors'.

Having just re-read the document, I see that it only applies if you are a member of NIC/SELECT/ECA/ELECSA/NAPIT, or it's an emergency.

Hey Guy's,

I do alot of DNO work, LV live jointing ,OHL's, service head installs etc. I know it's a pain when your changing a dis board and the supplier never installed an isolator for you to turn power out. Bottom line is you should contact the supplier to arrange with DNO to come out and pull fuse from head or install a secondary cut out for you. I have never heard of a DNO letting an electrician pull one of their fuses. I carry out work on UKPN,SSE,WPD,NPG,SCOTTISH POWER networks and they wouldn't allow you. To put things into perspective when I'm working with DNO gear I have to wear Flame retardant overalls/Flash proof, safety glasses/face shield, Lv gloves with over leather gauntlets. I'm not scare mongering at all here guys (not my style) however these supplies aren't backed up by a fancy rcd and I have seen first hand the results when stuff go's wrong. Just be patient, putting a job back a couple of weeks is better than hurting yourself.
Scottish and Southern Energy Power Distribution do have a procedure for electricians to, in certain circumstances and with control systems in place, remove and reseal a cut out fuse.
This is dependent on the assurance by NICIEC, ECA, ELECSA, NAPIT, SELECT that their members are competent.

Hey Guy's,

found this once, and that was AFTER cutting the seals.
Scottish and Southern Energy Power Distribution do have a procedure for electricians to, in certain circumstances and with control systems in place, remove and reseal a cut out fuse.
This is dependent on the assurance by NICIEC, ECA, ELECSA, NAPIT, SELECT that their members are
This is dependent on the assurance by NICIEC, ECA, ELECSA, NAPIT, SELECT that their members are competent.

https://www.ssepd.co.uk/Connections/usefuldocuments/

Scroll down to 'Electrical contractors'.

Having just re-read the document, I see that it only applies if you are a member of NIC/SELECT/ECA/ELECSA/NAPIT, or it's an emergency.

Hey guys,

Good document, I stand corrected on the SSE front. I shall ask the auditors from the other networks I mentioned on my travels about electrical contractor's pulling their fuses.

That's the problem with replying to a thread, but not reading ALL the posts first. You mistakenly state something, that someone has already corrected. I should know done it myself.
So reiterate my point, why guess what the DNO policy is, contact (email) and ask. Incidently, it my case it was the 'admin girl' that knew the company policy, not the 'engineer'!

Reply to Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net