Discuss Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have pulled the fuse every time and only had one time when someone turned up and said what are you doing. Turns out they had wired the mains wrong and the main fuse turned off the house I was working on and next door. The neighbour rang them as they had no power.

I explained what I was doing and showed them my Napit id badge and they said no problems we will call at some point and correct it. That was 3 years ago and it's still like that.

The hassle to get a job to fit an isolator and a seal is beyond a joke all sparks should be allowed to do it
EDF wont even fit an isolator...Complete joke. I had BG out fitting some meters on a new build this week, got chatting to the bloke and he was an ex cavity wall insulation monkey which they trained up for meter fitting when the insulation game died of death. Now this guy is more qualified to pull a 100A fuse than an electrician who has done an apprenticeship haha.

Last edited:
We got an isolator fitted for free, the supplier and dno both said the other should do it, but eventually the supplier gave in and sent someone from g4s after a week or two. I think their quote was 60 quid but they said they'd add it to our bill and never did.
I got the impression noone ever asked before so they didn't know what to do.

Iv not been impressed with my first experiencing dealing with DNO (western power) I had a real messy main earthling terminal that had been chopped, terminalled to death etc. I suspected it was unsatisfactory. Rang DNO, unless I could prove it was unsafe then they wouldn't be interested. Did a Ze reading which came out at 0.16, so didn't comply (tns) I rang them up and told them. They still seemed relunctant until I told them the main fuse housing had a whole in it!...

They came round within a day and changed it all. Its now on TNCS.

I asked them about fitting an isolator. They wanted £160.

I politely told them that was ridiculous.

Yeah exactly, I was replying to the above poster "Did a Ze reading which came out at 0.16, so didn't comply (tns)" but my point is that's an excellent reading so I don't know why it doesn't comply.

Yeah exactly, I was replying to the above poster "Did a Ze reading which came out at 0.16, so didn't comply (tns)" but my point is that's an excellent reading so I don't know why it doesn't comply.

you know what, your absolutely right. It must have been the gaping hole in the fuse housing that caught they're attention

The dno's really need to get there act together and approve a scheme like SSE for electricians to pull fuses then crack down on people who aren't approved. I will say that using the correct ppe is essential though, this happened when one of our technicians pulled a cut out fuse.

image.jpeg

Reply to Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net