Discuss Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

so what would be considered as the "official" ppe for this
If you work for the metering companies or dno it's normally full face visor and LV gloves (leather over gloves if required for mechanical protection) and clothing should be flame retardant. When we do work on the large metal clad heads (up to 600 amp) overalls as well and those are arc resistant.

And I looked over the shoulder of someone pulling one - I'm sure there were seals before pulled.
Given the grand advice of pocketing the fuse carrier to protect yourself from idiots playing a trick and not thinking about the consequences.

When I recently may or may not have pulled a fuse I unscrewed the fuse from the carrier, pocketed the fuse and reinserted the empty carrier to cover the hole.

I have pulled the fuse every time and only had one time when someone turned up and said what are you doing. Turns out they had wired the mains wrong and the main fuse turned off the house I was working on and next door. The neighbour rang them as they had no power.

I explained what I was doing and showed them my Napit id badge and they said no problems we will call at some point and correct it. That was 3 years ago and it's still like that.
I work for the board, your not supposed to pull the main fuse. But if there is no double pole present to isolate, what do you do. I have never known any board members going out pull a mains fuse so the sparky can do his work? I have caught a couple of sparkies over the years, doing this, but I've never said nowt or reported it, because how else would you do it. If anyone has a problem with there cut out, vir present, sealing tabs snapped, sharing a mains fuse, damage, leaking pitch, etc. Go onto the Electric boards website and log it on there as a CRM job. The board will send some one to look at it and change it for you.

Reply to Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net