Discuss Puzzled in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Victor

-
Reaction score
Had a really weird situation today. Having installed all the wiring and new consumer unit for a full rewire, I today came to test the last circuit which was the downstairs lights. Tested continuity which was fine as was insulation resistance, upon testing for loop impedance, I got a low voltage error message which upon investigation showed only 185 volts between first and 2nd light points. Result was I ended up having to take up the floorboards and replace the cable which looked totally normal and undamaged. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

What do you mean exactly by 185V between first and second points. Can you clarify that? Are you saying you had 240V at the first fitting and 185V at the second?

Tested continuity which was fine

Did you test both L & N? If not, the N conductor might have been internally broken. the 185V was probably arbitrary and just indicative of a high resistance, if you had used a different meter or put more load on it probably would have changed.

If you had 240v across L&N at the first fitting and 185V across L&N at the second fitting I would say you lost the neutral, either the cable had a break or a poor termination.

Tested both L and N with no high readings, even did a continuity test on the cable once I have removed and replaced it, again no high readings, that what is so weird.

Tested both L and N with no high readings, even did a continuity test on the cable once I have removed and replaced it, again no high readings, that what is so weird.

If you still have that leg of cable put your continuity tester on the neutral at either end, then flex the cable around and see what happens on your scale.

Reply to Puzzled in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net