Discuss pv liability insurance in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi

Can someone tell me what specifically is being covered for the extra cost on top of the normal electrical contractors public liability insurance?

Thanks

Mine went from £120 combined PL and EL to £180 with PV added (upto 11m working at height), cant remember who it is with as broker sorted it out, standard electricians policy only covered working up to 3m which I didnt know, glad I never fell off that scissor lift!

Mine went from £120 combined PL and EL to £180 with PV added (upto 11m working at height), cant remember who it is with as broker sorted it out, standard electricians policy only covered working up to 3m which I didnt know, glad I never fell off that scissor lift!

Think I (we) need to know your broker Noshocks! Ours is to 14mts (Newer 3 Story properties was our thought) 2 x Partners and 3 x employees. One of them under 25. We pay £540 (ish) a year combined PL & EL. Not that our broker knew what the hell PV was and what is was all about or even what class to insure us under!

I've just been quoted £2040 to install Solar PV plus 1 employee and 1 occasional employee (PL and EL)!
Can someone advise of a decent company please.

Help!

Good God - we paid £1400 for public liability and employers liability for 2 employees. We did go for 5 million cover so we could bid for housing association tenders but that only increased it by £100 or so. A friend with a business with 10 emplyees has been charged in excess of 4k!! Can you share the info about your cheaper options please??

Can some one help me out with a broker please. Still cant find a decent price for PL and EL. I've been quoted £2245 via broker for cover with MMA. PL £2m EL for me as director and one other £10m with £2500 tools cover.
Markc - you pay about 540 for this!!
thanks

Can some one help me out with a broker please. Still cant find a decent price for PL and EL. I've been quoted £2245 via broker for cover with MMA. PL £2m EL for me as director and one other £10m with £2500 tools cover.
Markc - you pay about 540 for this!!
thanks

£5M P/L, E/L for 3 persons and 14mt height. NO TOOLS included. £540 a year. We have been trading 40years and in East Anglia. It will make a difference. We also have to pay a one off fee of £210 for every Church we work in (Electrical Contracting side) if the work is over £5K and more than 3 days. For the PV side it covered us up to 14mts and 2 persons.

We just do PV, the brokers worked hard for us and found out the following....

If you are an electrical contractor wanting to add PV then cheap, low hundreds easy.
If all you do is PV then you fall into the same category of risk as roofers and premiums are in thousands.
If you bend the truth then your insurance will be invalid if you try to make a claim. Honesty is essential otherwise it's not worth the paper you print it on.

We got PV only insurance from Zurich through 'Simply Business' for £600 two manual workers and one office worker PL and EL

We just do PV, the brokers worked hard for us and found out the following....

If you are an electrical contractor wanting to add PV then cheap, low hundreds easy.
If all you do is PV then you fall into the same category of risk as roofers and premiums are in thousands.
If you bend the truth then your insurance will be invalid if you try to make a claim. Honesty is essential otherwise it's not worth the paper you print it on.

We got PV only insurance from Zurich through 'Simply Business' for £600 two manual workers and one office worker PL and EL

I tried Zurich last week and for purely pv it was £1,000/employee for employers liability and they wanted to include my scaffolding and roofing subcontractors too on the same policy. Public liability was in the low hundreds, they said it wasn't their or MMA's policy to insure only pv installers but if sparky's or plumbers did about 10% of their work in pv they could add it to their policy relatively cheaply. How on earth did you manage to get it Ramjam???

I am a Chartered Insurance Broker and happy to help anyone on the forum with insurance problems.

For PV installers I have a per capita insurance scheme underwritten by Novae Insurance Co Ltd which can handle most PV associated risks. In addition I can issue this with no height limit if required.

I can look at tools of the trade, plant [hired in or otherwise] and contract works if needed.

I can also place the design, errors and omissions and financial loss cover on a policy to run along side the Liability.

Follow me on Twitter at @ajaander.

Clive

We used Clive Turner abovem and his quote was good, they also arranged our plant hire cover, and they also sorted out when we need to add a whole bunch of extra staff last November just for 1 month, with extra height cover and a whopping Public liability cover becasue of the buildings we were working on simultaneously.

Prices were fair, they know what you're talking about.

And if you want to they'll offer you a monthly payment option

Last edited:

Reply to pv liability insurance in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock