Discuss PVC conduit question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone know a good way of sealing an an entry to a PVC conduit box to make it water tight?

What I'm wanting to do is use PVC conduit for an outside lighting installation. Where the lights are to go, my intention is to use a short length of flex from the light to a terminal in a T shaped conduix box. Now obviously, two of the three entries into that conduit box will be sealed by the entering conduit on either side but what about the downwards facing entry that is used for the flex? My thoughts were to use a compression gland, but they are threaded whereas the conduit boxes aren't. Also, on one of the conduit boxes, there will be a total of three lengths of flex exiting from the one conduit box entry so a compression gland would be totally out of the equasion for that one. Edit: I guess I just want to exhaust all the options before I resort to pumping it full of silicone haha.

Any ideas? I'm hoping my explanation is ok, if it isn't let me know and I'll try and elaborate.

Last edited:
With the T box solvent weld a very short length on conduit into the third spout then glue a female coupler onto the length of short conduit, this then gives you the threads to screw the stuffing gland into. Personal opinion use Wiska boxes and male adaptors that can screw directly into the boxes, then just screw the glands into the pre threaded knock outs

A female adaptor glued in using a extra short piece of pipe,then the stuffing gland screwed into the adaptor

I came third in that reply
bronze medal maybe :)
Hawk was a comendable 4th

Last edited:
Just be sure there’s an egress hole for damp. I’ve only worked on plastic stuff once, every box along with its joints were full of water.

I would have use an IP rated joint box. Any continuous conduit from that can be connected using male bushes and adaptors etc and the cable exit points can be stuffers.

Reply to PVC conduit question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net