Discuss QS and electrical Installation certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good for him
Can I take this thread a different way slightly for a minute, but based on a theme that has already been mentioned in brief. The model forms state they are for installations up to 100A - in the work I've been involved in this has been sufficient but what forms are used for bigger installs? Has anyone got a 100A+ model form, and where would they typically be used?

Thanks
just use the standard electrical installation certificate.
The single phase 100amp ones are just less pages for the full scope single phase brings.

This is where the good habit of getting everything in black and white and storing it for future reference comes into play.

Also going around and auditing sites during works and on completion not only ensures the work is being done correctly but also enables me to identify the less conscientious employees and apply a little more pressure on them to get the job done correctly.

My arse is covered if anything does go wrong. It pays to be proactive and be forceful with the management. It does take a lot of hard work to keep on top of things, good job I don't really care about upsetting management... ;)
A valid point Strima, problem is that there are some unscrupulous managers out there, "toe the line or look for another job" and jobs are few and far between these days. You might say not these days employment protection and all that, that' OK if you work for a large employer who doesn't want an unfair dismissal tribunal hanging over them, but believe me if you rock the boat there are ways of getting rid of a, shall we say trouble maker.

But surely if BS7671 is the rule book we all bow to, we should be able to get templates from there much like we can get forms for up to 100A.

Yes you can get the green version of this for non-NICEIC approved contractors
You're missing my point. You can get forms for certain installations in the regs we all follow, so why do I then need to go and buy a different set off a third party in order to certify a larger install? It's barmy. It's a bit like the fire regs saying "here's the form you've got to complete in order to comply, but be careful because anymore than 3 alarms in the system and you need a different form that costs money"

The IET provides model forms for up to 100A supplies, they don't provide them for larger supplies.
You can use the model forms for up to 100A supplies or make your own based on the model forms.
For supplies greater than 100A you have to make your own.
If you don't want to make your own, you can use forms made by someone else.

The IET provides model forms for up to 100A supplies, they don't provide them for larger supplies.
You can use the model forms for up to 100A supplies or make your own based on the model forms.
For supplies greater than 100A you have to make your own.
If you don't want to make your own, you can use forms made by someone else.
So I can make my own that is essentially exactly the same except I'll remove the bit about "only for up to 100a". Jobs a good 'un then, why can't the IET do that for us then?

Why don't you just buy a book of electrical installation certificates based upon BS7671 from the local wholesalers ?If not someone posted on here forms you can fill in (I'm sure someone on here will be able to find them)if you are only after one

Make your own up Appendix 6 is informative.
So my own could be a smoke packet with a couple numbers and a signature on it? That'd be to regs? I'm not trying to be funny.

I just don't get why we have to do a regs course and buy updated materials every few years and they can't even give us a blank form to go off - I've got to buy a pack from the wholesalers or buy from a third party that is making a killing.

Make your own, we do and keep them as simple as possible and our scheme provider has never had a problem with them. One thing the NICEIC will do is overcomplicate the most simplest of things but a smoke box may be difficult to duplicate /file:D
Appendix 6 will give all the info you require for your own format but this is not cast in stone.

So I can make my own that is essentially exactly the same except I'll remove the bit about "only for up to 100a". Jobs a good 'un then, why can't the IET do that for us then?
You're missing the point - BS7671 is making clear that the model forms are only appropriate for small installations. For larger/more complex installations then these will need to consider all sorts of other things depending on the type and complexity of the installation. In essence, you need to make your own forms up.

NICEIC Approved Contractors obviously have access to the forms the NICEIC have made up with all of the different items in the Schedule of Inspections and other parts of the paperwork which they consider to be relevant to larger installations.

Reply to QS and electrical Installation certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net