Discuss QS and electrical Installation certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You're missing the point - BS7671 is making clear that the model forms are only appropriate for small installations. For larger/more complex installations then these will need to consider all sorts of other things depending on the type and complexity of the installation. In essence, you need to make your own forms up.

NICEIC Approved Contractors obviously have access to the forms the NICEIC have made up with all of the different items in the Schedule of Inspections and other parts of the paperwork which they consider to be relevant to larger installations.
If NICEIC can manage to make a form that they feel encompasses the requirements of larger installations, why can't the IET?

If NICEIC can manage to make a form that they feel encompasses the requirements of larger installations, why can't the IET?
It's not that they couldn't - it's that they are suggesting that you need to use what is appropriate to the type/complexity of the installation. The NICEIC have decided to compile a standard form for their contractors with everything they consider necessary. It's not really a contradiction - they are different bodies with different purposes. JPEL/64 write the Regulations whereas the NICEIC assess registered contractors.

So I can make my own that is essentially exactly the same except I'll remove the bit about "only for up to 100a". Jobs a good 'un then, why can't the IET do that for us then?

If they made a model form for the schedule of inspections which covers everything then it would end up with a ridiculous number of pages, most of which would not be applicable to each installation you use it on.
How many additional pages of inspection items would you need just to cover every special location, and how often would you be filling in those sections as N/A?

It's only the schedule of inspections which normally needs to be customised to each job, and they do provide a list of examples of items to be inspected. Ideally the schedule of inspections which need to be carried out for initial verification would be drawn up by the designers of the installation.

Also you might find you need one schedule of inspections for the intake, and another different one for each individual DB.
If there are say 20 DBs in an installation then each one may need inspecting, testing and commissioning separately. So you'd want to record each inspection and test which is carried out.

I have been a QS for 18yrs and NICEIC stipulate that 1 QS is needed and any others are voluntary. When the main QS leaves and they are notified they ask the employer who is taking over the role if there are more than 1. The voluntary QS in most cases doesn't even get consulted by his employer if he wants the role full time and the NICEIC don't ask the nominated QS they just transfer the role over. I think this is totally wrong. When you are a QS it is very much your neck on the line every time a set of scribbled down test results are handed to you to then compile a full EIC certificate. I have been on the receiving end and it isn't a nice place to be. Especially when some of the sparks say that's your job or that's why your paid more than me. They don't realise that once they go home they forget about work till the next day. A QS or manager doesn't get that luxury as they are responsible for the H&S method statements and certification of their next jobs. In truth most QS are on the tools trying to do their own work on top of worrying about the quality of work of the other muppets and the certifying of the jobs. All this for £1 or £2 an hour more per hour. Only the really big firms pay what I think is a fair wedge for a QS and the role is an office based one with site visits to oversea the work force and quality of standards.

Reply to QS and electrical Installation certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net