Discuss Qualifications required to work on HV in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I got my AP(E) through a company called DEVELOPE, based just outside of York, although I beleive they also have a base near Swindon. It was a 2 week residential which is MOD & BTEC approved. Just passing the course doesn't automatically allow you to work on HV, you only receive your appointment through familiarity with the system you will be working on, ie a specific site etc. As Piccollo said, it is a long drawn out process but can be quite beneficial at the end of it, it certainly opens doors. It is also something that you need to refresh every 3 years (i think) although all of what I just said may have change as it was quite a few years since I done mine, then unfortunately changed jobs and let it lapse.

Dear Hants, you're possibly still correct. I had to requal for my P1 every 3 years, but that was back in 1980. But like you worked changed & I let mine lapse in the late 80's. Still, I was lucky & was working for SEGB, so got plenty of experience. piccollo

Hi Piccollo, I was the AP(E) and working on a site which had a 33KV ring and various other HV sub-rings, as you said you get good experience racking in/out, testing etc but times change and eventually moved on. If the OP is considering this line of electrical career then I would say crack on, I know people who are down this neck of the woods on 100K+ being AP(E)'s for companies, this includes project managing etc though. Good Luck

A very worthwhile addition to any qualified electrician. ....If you can afford the training out of your own pocket, it ain't cheap!! Things have changed a hell of a lot since my day, for a full Approved Person ticket, you needed to of held a lower rating ticket (can't remember the title) for a given period of time with qualifications to match!! That was with Eastern Electricity As far as i can remember, in those days it was the old Regional Electricity Boards that trained and issued the AP's tickets....

Probably, it has now all been changed and watered down, in favour of chasing the buck etc... lol!!

Unless the OP has a need for AP status in his job it's hardly worth going for. As has been said, you're ticket has to be renewed every 3 years. Another considerable cost.

If you're employer requires it, it is normaly their duty to pay for it.

Reply to Qualifications required to work on HV in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock