Discuss Query about EICR and LABC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bonn1ett

Hi people, wonder if anyone can help can offer some advice. A builder recently contacted me explaining that the job he's been working on - an annexe, had an electrician in who has completed the installation but for some reason the electrician has disappeared off the face of the planet, leaving the customer with no certificate or notification to building control. As I understand it, all I can offer to do is an EICR but is this acceptable to Building Control as opposed to an initial Electrical Installation Certificate?

So the best thing as you've said is to ask the LABC if they will accept the EICR. Wasn't sure if as a rule all LABC will accept them or perhaps every LABC have there own rules about it?

Haven't they now allowed a third party part p cert nowadays??
I must admit an eicr is the way to go as you can't see the full installation as its in the wall/under the floor etc.
make sure you cover your --- on the comments and limitation boxes!!

yeah, don't really know how you can issue an EIC as a third party without being involved in the initial installation? You can do all the testing fine, but who knows where the cables have been installed!

Haven't they now allowed a third party part p cert nowadays??
I must admit an eicr is the way to go as you can't see the full installation as its in the wall/under the floor etc.
make sure you cover your --- on the comments and limitation boxes!!

Well..... its in the Part P update but none of the schemes have a process. Elecsa and NICEIC aren't even going to discuss it until the autumn!

As far as I've seen you cannot do a EICR to part p it. Only the labs can do that (for the moment)
what you need to ask is why has the sparks disappeared, normally he hasn't been paid or he's done a ****e job

I'm going to look at the job tomorrow, so after all your helpful comments I think all I can do is say to the builder/client to contact there labc explain the situation and see if they will accept the eicr, if they do then happy days, more work for me! But yes, is a bit concerning as to why the electrician disappeared! Thanks for the comments

As best I understand it, you can do I&T as per new installation and sign off the For Inspection & Testing sign-off of the Electrical Installation Certificate, as a third-party tester (as if you had been contracted in from the outset merely to do the I&T). I'm not sure what the responsibilities of the tester are in satisfying themselves of the competence of the designer and installer before doing so and would be interested to hear comments.

But obviously you CANNOT sign off either the Design or Construction sign-offs, so the client cannot achieve overall sign-off, so it doesn't really help your cause. Guess the mercies of LABC will have to be sought.

I am in the same situation , electrician has done first fix and not returning , been asked to complete with an eic at the end but told customer unable to do this , Explained situation to labc they will not accept eicr , if customer wants installation signed off then they must contact labc and then they will appoint electrician to come in and check 1st fix and then test and certify,

Reply to Query about EICR and LABC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net