Discuss Question about NVQ with XS Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm going to start my 2365 Level 3 next year and I'm looking in advance at what will be needed to move onto the NVQ, but I'm a little confused about what a company like XS Training offer.

Can you pay for the NVQ through XS and they set up on job training and experience for you or do you need to have your own work experience ready beforehand?

Thanks
Jonathan

Hello all

I'm going to start my 2365 Level 3 next year and I'm looking in advance at what will be needed to move onto the NVQ, but I'm a little confused about what a company like XS Training offer.

Can you pay for the NVQ through XS and they set up on job training and experience for you or do you need to have your own work experience ready beforehand?

Thanks
Jonathan

You would have to be in a role that offers the type of work to complete the units of the NVQ. whether that be employed or as work experience but you will have to find this work yourself.

The NVQ3 isn't a "training course" it's a work-based portfolio where you demonstrate that you are capable of installing different wiring systems, such as conduit, trunking, cable tray, different cable types, fault finding, inspection and testing, and a load of stuff about health and safety, obtaining data, keeping the site clean etc. You don't have to do much of each thing, but you have to show that you've done it and convince your assessor that you know what you're doing.
It's doubtful that you'll encounter enough different scenarios on one job to complete the whole NVQ, and unless you've got a dad or uncle to give you a job and set everything up for you you could spend 6 weeks on one job just installing trunking, or just second fixing accessories. You might have to ask nicely to be allowed to put your testing knowledge into practice.

XS Training won't find you a job, and they won't lay everything out on a plate for you, you'll have to do pretty much everything yourself. As such they may not be the best provider for you if you haven't already got some experience and a good chance of finding work. It may be worth asking your local college what they can offer, but they can have different criteria - some may insist you already have a job on the cards, some might expect you to be able to do everything in a year, but they will probably offer site visits where they come out and check what you're up to

Hello all

Thanks
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Adam W has rightly pointed out that we may not be the best option for you as you are not currently working in the industry and have little experience to date. We would advise that you discuss your options with your local college and make enquiries with local electrical contractors about gaining some experience within the industry.

One way of contacting local contractors is by going to NICEIC website, type in your postcode where it says "find a contractor" and this will then give you a list of local contractors who are registered with NICEIC. You can then send them your CV and/or contact them directly and ask if they are willing to take on a trainee.

We would not advise you spending money on an NVQ without first gaining experience within the industry. We are available for free advice, guidance and support even if we are not your chosen training provider so if you have any questions then please feel free to contact us at your convenience.

All the best

What a good response from you guys at Xs training. I've seen so many training companies twist their opinions on prerequisites to suit their needs and not that of the learner.

I may have to get back in touch with you guys soon as well..

Hello ive just finished the level 3 2365 course.
im working as a electrical improver and want to start my nvq portfolio as im working.When i search online to sign up for the nvq all i get back is private companies far away offering the nvq. As i dont have 1000 pounds spare at the moment to go with them and want to keep the ball rolling is there not a way to sign up to start doing the portfolio and then pay for the tests and assesors like am2 when your ready?

Reply to Question about NVQ with XS Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net