Discuss Question about the 17th edition courses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

amex

-
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Anyone can tell me how is doing an 17th edition training and exam?

If want to learn at home, without training or before going to training, what I need to know?
How many and wt kind of training books I needed?

And how is doing the exam?

If anzone know the above, please writte me.
Thanks.

hi everybody.

If want to learn at home, without training or before going to training, what i need to know?
How many and wt kind of training books i needed?

If anzone know the above, please writte me.
Thanks.

bs7671

What reason are you doing this?
Are you employed in electrical work?
Are you re-training from something completely different?
Do you have electrical qualifications from another Country?

Do you want to just complete the 17th regs assessment, if so it won't teach you anything about working on electrical installations.

The qualification handbook from C&G tells you about the format of the exam:
http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/Produc...2-15_L3_Award_Qualification_handbook_v1-1.pdf

Mock papers: Questions and answers, past exam papers and mock exams for the C&G 2382-15 17th Edition exam | 17thEditionQuestions.info

You will need a good understanding of the language and technical content of BS7671.

To quote the Qualification handbook: "This qualification is primarily aimed at practising electricians with relevant experience and other allied professionals e.g. surveyors, consultants and other trades needing to update and enhance their understanding of IEE Wiring Regulations. It is also suitable for anyone wishing to demonstrate an understanding of the IEE 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (BS 7671)."

Hi everybody.

If want to learn at home, without training or before going to training, what I need to know?
How many and wt kind of training books I needed?

If any one know about the above, please write to me.
Thanks.

wow, I could read this!

your profile says you are learning to be a "Domestic Installer" well after that training/Course then you do the 17th Edition
its all around the Wiring Regs, (not a great read and i think they all die in the end)

But basically its what your Learn while training/course and to be able to use the book to look it up
calculations formulas and wording used.

The Exam was Multi Option on a Computer test.

to do it BEFORE TRAINING i think will be a bit complex

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the hero of the book - The RCD - saved them? But then I never did get to the end...

I think the sequel is coming out very soon 2018 I think, should make a good read, along with all the other crap that goes with it.

Hi, thanks for all answers. So...
Earlier I am started an online course as a Domestic electrical Installer. But one years ago I cancelled that.
Now I want to doing first the 17th edition exam, and after all others what I needed. I am not a qualified electrician from other country, but I have wide range experience. Unfortunatelly If I want working as an electrician, first I need doing exam. But I am find many information about the courses. The 17th edition courses and exam basicly until 5 days for about 2-400 pounds. I have already some training books, IEE Wiring Regulations, City & Guilds, and many more what I am found on e-bay. But these books every each more than 600 pages. How can I learn these until 5 days on training? It is impossibble.

So If anyone have experience or information about the 17th edition traing and exam, please writte me, how is going exactly?
What kind of training books I needed exactly, and what I need to know exactly.

Thanks for all help.

Hi, thanks for all answers. So...
Earlier I am started an online course as a Domestic electrical Installer. But one years ago I cancelled that.
Now I want to doing first the 17th edition exam, and after all others what I needed. I am not a qualified electrician from other country, but I have wide range experience. Unfortunatelly If I want working as an electrician, first I need doing exam. But I am find many information about the courses. The 17th edition courses and exam basicly until 5 days for about 2-400 pounds. I have already some training books, IEE Wiring Regulations, City & Guilds, and many more what I am found on e-bay. But these books every each more than 600 pages. How can I learn these until 5 days on training? It is impossibble.

So If anyone have experience or information about the 17th edition traing and exam, please writte me, how is going exactly?
What kind of training books I needed exactly, and what I need to know exatly.

Thanks for all help.

well i think you need the latest Wiring Regs (YELLOW) as its now IET, think it was IEE under the RED editing.
In truth for 17th Edition i dont know of any books, just time spent doing course and work. Then you use the Wiring Regs book to check up to see if you are right.

Guess going to do the QUICK and EASY way.. PART P and then the 17th Edition

17th Edition course in Nottingham £354
https://www.traininginelectrical.co.uk/course/beginners-electrical-courses/17th-edition-wiring-regulations-2008-2013-bs7671

Part P (NOTE this was ment for OLD HAND Electricans Pre or Has None Qualifications) but can be used as a cheat to get there quicker, never giving 100% sure thing of PASSING, as my English can be a bit bad, and i see you have a bit of problem with it too. £715
https://www.traininginelectrical.co...p-domestic-installer-full-scope-qualification

No EASY fix about it, As HighTower says "Takes more than 5 days to learn a trade" but if you want to quick fix then the above is your option but still needs a LOT of READING and LEARNING
And other ways to cheat, to get someone to do the test for you. By rights your spose to have Photo ID, but when reg a few Places dont ask for this, (Lincoln College did, tho one guy forgot his ID and had the Tutor vouch for him or we could use are College ID, what was taken when we reg so can fake it there) so i guess that possible.

mm well i guess dont want to read the books, learn the trade, or do a quick fix course as might flunk due to not understanding all before hand. So the Cheating way seems you best bet, get someone whom can pass to do it in your name, a place that dosent need ID to Reg. <This maybe DELETED due to information that shouldnt be spoken about>

Earlier I am started an online course as a Domestic electrical Installer. ... I am not a qualified electrician from other country, but I have wide range experience. Unfortunatelly If I want working as an electrician, first I need doing exam.

These courses which produce what used to be known as 5-day wonders (now the title 5-week wonder appears to have grown in prominence on this site) will not qualify you as an Electrician either. You will be a Domestic Electrical Installer (whatever that is).

Hi,
Thanks again for all answers.
So if I understand, I need to buy a newest Wiring Regulatons (Yellow book), and I must reading many times for easy memories and undestanding. And need doing many test paper and exam simulator. Before I apply for exam. It is ok. But.....
Risteard wrote, If I am do that 17th edition exam, I will not be qualified electrician, ( I know), and he said I will be a "Domestic electrical installer".
Anyone can tell me what is this qualification? What can I do what that?
I can Installing full electrical wiring in domestic houses?
And How many and what kind of examinations need doing for a fully qualified electrician?

2383 part p building there is a book with that
And your 17th
I believe that is the min you need to be "electrician"

There is no 100% way you will pass these courses
A lot of places say we haven't had any one fail, guess that puts a bit of pressure on you
But people who take the cource know it a lot off before doing the cource.

As.for full qualifications NVQ3 takes a long time and longer from standing still
I trying to be reasonable polite,.but I don't think that's your aim
You want quick cheap fix to bring in the cash

In which case stay under the radar and do repairs and additions
Keep with in the specs of minor work and you don't need any thing
Get in to consumer unit change and new circuit then you need a bit if paper

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Thanks again for all answers.
So if I understand, I need to buy a newest Wiring Regulatons (Yellow book), and I must reading many times for easy memories and undestanding. And need doing many test paper and exam simulator. Before I apply for exam. It is ok. But.....
Risteard wrote, If I am do that 17th edition exam, I will not be qualified electrician, ( I know), and he said I will be a "Domestic electrical installer".
Anyone can tell me what is this qualification? What can I do what that?
I can Installing full electrical wiring in domestic houses?
And How many and what kind of examinations need doing for a fully qualified electrician?

The recognised route to becoming a fully qualified electrician is the NVQ3. A half completed home study domestic installer course and your 17th edition will not suffice, will not educate you, and will not give you any employment prospects.
I would get down to Hull college and speak to the helpful and knowledgeable staff in the electrical dept about your options for training.

Reply to Question about the 17th edition courses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net