Discuss Quick Question RE: Shaving Socket + Adapter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

samhale86

Hi,

Quick question from a electrical dummy.

Are UK shaver sockets, and EU plug sockets, the same? Or, in other words, and more specific to my requirements, will this adapter - Universal Adaptor with 3 Pin UK into 2 Pin Plug: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - allow me to plug a UK standard plug into the shaving socket?

In the comments someone says;

"It includes a UK 2 pin shaver plug connection."

Which is a little confusing, but suggests it might?

Many thanks.

UK Shaver plugs sockets. Looks like a Euro Plug but in fact it was not derived from the Euro plug at all, but was a legacy from the obsolete 2 pin 5 amperes plug used in Britain in the 1920s and 1930s but still prevalent, especially in bathrooms, as late as the 1960s. It has 0.2 in (5.08 mm) diameter pins 5⁄8 in (15.88 mm) apart, and the sockets for this plug are often designed to accept unearthed CEE 7/16, US or Australian plugs as well. Sockets are often able to supply either 230 V or 115 V.

Euro plugs have 4mm pins which is why the are slack in a shaver socket.

So, it might work, but be slack?

Is there such a thing as a UK shaver socket to UK plug socket?

I can find plenty of vice versa.

Thanks for your post.

If i understand what you are asking correctly, then answer should be no. A standard uk plug would accept an appliance requiring an earth (third pin) since a shaver socket does not provide an earth you should not get anything that could adapt the shaver socket to 3 pin ( even if it did allow for different voltage)

edit :I am surprised that the adaptor in your link is so readily available as it allows an appliance requiring an earth to be used without one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Euro 2 pin plugs will work, but I wouldn't bother. I think you will struggle to find an adaptor

Last edited by a moderator:
if they're loose, wrap a bit of smoke packet silver foil round the pins. it works on plug top fuses. LOL.

Shaver sockets are for shavers and when in bathrooms and shower rooms electric can get messy so I think that why you don't get an off the shelf adaptor. Don't think the transformer in the shaver socket would run hair dryer long. You would soon have a smoked unit.

Reply to Quick Question RE: Shaving Socket + Adapter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net