• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss quiet time bench job for today in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
customer's fancy light. transformer is goosed. no output (load is connected, been caught before when TX only outputs with min. load or more)). new TX ordered.

quiet time bench job for today bencjob - EletriciansForums.net

yes . time to tidy the workbench. . cringes in anticipation of the replies. :D

Must admit I do like the cigarette box with the smoke hanging from the babies mouth, hilarious, more a Dunhill man but I go with the Speckled Hen.

Glad to see you've cleared your bench of that Paul Masson plonk, in favour of some more respectable beverage.

Alas I haven't a dedicated workbench, I'm unable to enter my garage due to the mounds of junk, a new mountain bike I bought when I retired (now just collecting dust) and tins of surplus paint.

My only claim to man stuff, is a respectable stick for stirring paint, which I've had for donkies. But if you listen to her indoors, its not seen the light of day for years :oops:

At least you can see your bench, I need a tidy up...

quiet time bench job for today IMG_1148.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Tel I had the same problem with a very similar light [those little halogen capsule lamps 10w ?] and found a normal 100va electronic transformer fitted in the cap quite comfortably. ;)

Tel, you need more pens!

I replaced a tranny on a similar light to that around three years ago. Couldn't source the donut tranny except from Holland if I recall correctly, so opted for a normal 105VA tranny that would just about fit in whilst keeping the metal stud in place. I fitted lower wattage lamps to stop it overloading.
Unfortunately that didn't last that long either, so ended up changing it to a driver with LEDs. That has lasted much longer.
Those types of light fittings with the donut trannys are known to have a problem apparently, recall reading a post on a certain regs forum a while back.

pain in the arse those lights as people end up sticking 20w capsules in and killing the tranny, I found aurora do a round replacement when I last did one
this is what i've ordered,
Round electronic transformer, 105VA, power, AU-RD105, Aurora Lighting UK - https://www.directtradesupplies.co.uk/product.php/162803/aurora-lighting-35-105w-va-round-electronic-transformer--white-?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnubLBRC_ARIsAASsNNmS47rfMoRbAIqzKIU6AG-z1btIIfQmboesVk5hOuFLsMbVeWm-03QaAkfREALw_wcB

and i think you may be right about having had 20w G4 s fitted, although customer brought fitting here with no lamps in.

Reply to quiet time bench job for today in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back