Discuss Quote and questions help pv installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nicholas221078

Hi guys new here had rolec round tonight to give me a quote for a pv installation using 14 panels south facing,they get supplied from germany through solarworld,all in all after the calculations had been done the system should be around 3400kwH,
i dont have the funds up front so looking at a loan,they quoted 10,300k but i refused that and got it dropped to 9500, im trying to weigh up a monthly cost,the system will cost me 122.00 per month and they say it will reduce my monthly leccy bill from 70 pound to 35 pound p/m estimate and the fit should bring me worse case 88 pound per month so 122 pound for the system,and 35 pound leccy bill plus 88 fit payment equals about the same monthly outgoing.
is the 88 pound monthly estimate and a 50 percent slash on my leccy bill a good estimate?

cheers guys as new to solar systems and cant afford to loose much money p/m as the missus lost her job.

cheers

nick

Hi -

Is this RoLEC from Wakefield? if so ive come accross these guys and what your been offered is not a good deal - if your in that situation with payment plans etc, you may think about rent a roof schemes such as a shade greener.

Even at 9500 your paying approx 4000 over the odds! yes FOUR THOUSAND POUNDS.

Infact i would be happy to call around amongst others on here who live near you and explain PV in a non biased view and give you a more realistic quote.

Hi yeah rolec in normanton so classed as wakefield,think i might skip it then.
ill have a look into the rent a roof,i gather this is just to reduce my leccy bill rather than earning money too?

Thanks for the quick reply

Yes - PV isn't for everyone - but - why not speak to myself, Leeds Solar, Whinmoor (PV installer in wakefield) and we'll all tell you the same. Im dont need the work, but i really dont want you to pay over the top for a system you could get better from someone who is not interested in the bonus they can make of the back of your install.

We were installing a 4kw system for sound 10k when the feed in tariff was much higher than it is now. Surely parts pricing have fallen considerably along with the feed in tariff?

Yes - PV isn't for everyone - but - why not speak to myself, Leeds Solar, Whinmoor (PV installer in wakefield) and we'll all tell you the same. Im dont need the work, but i really dont want you to pay over the top for a system you could get better from someone who is not interested in the bonus they can make of the back of your install.

Thanks so are you actually leeds solar? just it says bingley in your location i appreciate your help in letting me know im feeding someones monthly bonus

We were installing a 4kw system for sound 10k when the feed in tariff was much higher than it is now. Surely parts pricing have fallen considerably along with the feed in tariff?

yeah i m getting the feeling ive been given a duff quote,if one person says its 4k over priced i can bet anoher 40 will say the same

Nope im SolarGro at Bingley, Gavin A is Leeds Solar, he another good firm local to you, and Whinmoor is Medoria Solar in Wakefield. We all contribute on here, albiet i dont really want to compete against these guys, you will still get an honest answer and honest price from all 3 of us.

Thanks so are you actually leeds solar? just it says bingley in your location i appreciate your help in letting me know im feeding someones monthly bonus
Hi Nicholas, no we're Leeds Solar, Dansk is Solargro, and there are representatives of Medoria and Phoenix Works on here as well, amongst others relatively local to you.

I'd recommend you extend your mortgage or go for a personal loan seperately from the solar company if you want to fund a system, and look to borrow in the region of £5.5-6k for a 14 panel system, as this is around what that size system should be costing.

Well done for doing your research as you've avoided being ripped off.

If you're able to secure the funds at a reasonable rate we'd be happy to supply you with a decent quote for a quality system, and supply you with accurate income and savings projections to do some sums of your own with.

ps I don't suppose you've got any of those monthly payback figures written down from that company have you?

We're getting pretty fed up of them going around ripping people off, but they and their ilk seem to be quite good at covering their tracks when it comes to the misleading claims they use to justify the high prices.

Yes - hi Nicholas. We're based in Wakefield. Happy to visit you and take a look if you want. Send me a PM or email if you wish. We have a sensible pricing guide on our website and you'll notice they are considerably lower than those quoted by you.

ps I don't suppose you've got any of those monthly payback figures written down from that company have you?

We're getting pretty fed up of them going around ripping people off, but they and their ilk seem to be quite good at covering their tracks when it comes to the misleading claims they use to justify the high prices.

hi ive just sent them an email saying to cancel the order as didnt realize we actually signed up silly me, or missus lol.
i didnt get any figures in writing unfortunatley,ill see about a personal loan to give one of you guys the buisness.

as i always do tho i voice recorded the conversation on my ipod but it wont play grrr

the green deal is not your best option. the interest rates are higher than you could get elswhere and you don't get the feed in tarriff. likewise, unless you really can't raise the money don't go for rent a roof. Great for the company, rubbish for the customer and there is some evidence now it is causing people problems selling their house.

If you get solar PV with the Green Deal you DO get the feed in tariff , it's just totally separate from any of the financial calculations for the golden rule. You also qualify for the RHI for solar thermal or heat pumps.

The Green Deal would enable you to do a full solar system and insulation, windows, solar thermal, boiler , heating controls etc etc but may only partially fund some of them.
The interest rate is up to 7% but the loan is not personal it is to the property and recovered by the electricity bill payer so if you sell or rent the loan is replayed by others.
Compared with many loan interest rates advertised the Green Deal is very fair at 7%. It means the less well off, those in fuel poverty and those with a bad credit history or currently unable to borrow because of the current economic climate can get energy efficient improvements and be no worse off every month. Golden Rule applies. Those people that can add to their mortgage at <7% or get a cheap bank loan may be better going that route.

As you are already paying this money out for imported energy and would end up with a warmer, cheaper to run home and may not have the lump sum funds for energy improvements including solar the green deal is a very good suggestion.

You are unlikely to get full green deal for solar PV alone and may have to pay around 25% so that the golden rule is met.

Being as solar PV gets you circa 10% return on investment , tax free and index linked and guaranteed for twenty years , and future proofs you against import costs rising, borrowing at 7% is still a very viable option.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi ive just sent them an email saying to cancel the order as didnt realize we actually signed up silly me, or missus lol.
i didnt get any figures in writing unfortunatley,ill see about a personal loan to give one of you guys the buisness.

as i always do tho i voice recorded the conversation on my ipod but it wont play grrr

This makes my blood boil - freaking con artisit, you didnt realise you had signbed up! Nick to me - its not good and you've just agreed to 9500 worth of PV! you could get a 10KW system for that money at some firms. Hopefully you have 7 day cooling of period, but if you read the small print you have to write to the MD, look in the bottom RHC of the contract.

the green deal is not your best option. the interest rates are higher than you could get elswhere and you don't get the feed in tarriff. likewise, unless you really can't raise the money don't go for rent a roof. Great for the company, rubbish for the customer and there is some evidence now it is causing people problems selling their house.

I agree with what you write most of the time Moggy, but i think your wrong about the Rent-A-Roof guys, in my eyes its great for those who are never going to have the capital to buy a system, take my parents for example, they don't have the capital to buy and never will have, so whats wrong with benefiting from a 4kwp on the roof? and an immersun? according to "shade greener" there contract is approved by mortgate lenders and if you have a problem they will buy your house of you! A Shade Greener is Mortgage Friendly

To the OP, you have had the offer of 3 quotations on here by 3 local companies, I believe any of those 3 will provide you with a first class service and install.

There are different opinions on things like the Green Deal, and rent-a- roof schemes, personally I do not see the advantages in either, especially if you are a home owner.
Would I recommend these schemes to my Mother, Sister, Friends, No, absolutely not.

first thing you have to do is make sure you get that contract cancelled.

I'm a little late to the party! I agree with the others that the price you have signed up to is way off the current market rate from a reputable installer. We also cover your area so just shout if you would like to have a chat and see what we can offer.

cheers to evryone on here this site has been brilliant with the quick responses.

ive recieved an email saying it has been cancelled phewww.

im going to see if i can get a personal loan to fund it and when i find out if i can ill be contacting all the installers for quotes who posted on here.

if i cant get a loan i think ill look at the shade greener option as long as it doesnt affect mortgages or resale etc.

once again thanks to you all who posted ill be in touch if i can get the moneys needed.

Reply to Quote and questions help pv installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net