1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss R1 + R2 of ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. haptism

haptism Regular EF Member

Hi for a ring circuit, is there any need to measure and enter R1 + R2 values on a schedule of results ? Because an r2 value is already measured (together with r1 and rn). If I needed a ring R1 + R2 value to calculate ZS (although i would find ZS with a socket tester so really no need; but if I did) would i find it using the formula ZS = (r1 + r2)/4 ? Thanks all

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Hellmooth

Hellmooth Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CM Electrical
    Verification that it is a ring circuit would be a good reason.

hightower and Pete999 like this.
  4. jackhammerJIM

jackhammerJIM Regular EF Member

That would be r1 rn r2 . not R1 + R2

R1 + R2 IS required to confirm polarity

5. Wilko

Wilko Gorillas are Great Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Yep, values from testing are needed for your test schedule for both r and R. GN3 has method laid out in section 2.2.6.

6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. haptism

I dont have GN3 yet unfortunately. On the test schedule (IEE model form) there is a column for r1, r2, and rn values, so its obviously a ring im testing. The next column along asks for either R1 + R2, or R2; R2 is long lead method which would give exactly the same value as r2. So with that in mind whats the point of recording an R1 + R2, or R2 value if you have already measured r2 ?? Which my question is, do I need to enter an R1 + R2 value if i already have r2 ?? If you get what I mean that would be great ;)

8. jackhammerJIM

jackhammerJIM Regular EF Member

yes you need R1 +R2 to confirm polarity

9. telectrix

telectrix Appreciated Member Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    R2 reading wound not be same as r2.

10. Wilko

Wilko Gorillas are Great Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Def recommend GN3 ... I do tests and enter values for r1, rn, r2 and (R1+R2). Then I compare (r1+r2) to (R1+R2), looking for the magic 4 factor if I've built it right :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. kropaske

kropaske Active EF Member

With r1 r2 rn you confirm that it is RFC by doing R1+R2 you verifying that cpc is actually connected to the socket and as jackhammer said verifying polarity

12. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Or an I&T course? Like a sparks....

Pete999 and Risteard like this.
  13. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    It certainly shouldn't if done correctly! In fact it should be a quarter of the r2 value if there are no spurs. But given that the test for the (R1+R2) value is required as part of the ring final circuit continuity tests I see no merit in opting for R2 over (R1+R2) presuming that we are discussing initial verification here.

14. haptism

Okay, so in step 3 of the ring final test, when you cross connect L + E, the highest result is your R1 +R2. Having a brain drain today, quickly why would R2 differ from r2 ?

15. kropaske

kropaske Active EF Member

correct

r2 is end to end
    R2 is when joined together

16. haptism

Thanks all, and thanks for your patience and goodwill,

DPG likes this.
  17. Advertisement

to hide this advert.