Discuss R1 + R2 on RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jreid67

I was just wondering if anyones meter trips out the RCD when testing R1 + R2. I tried the old fluke 1651 and it was fine but when using the newer 1651b it trips. Also what do you do when this happens do you just disconnect RCD and put in a connector block for this test?

the RCD is part of the circut, it goes from the board to the RCD to the socket. everthing is isolated and R1 and R2 are linked at the board

To carry out R1+R2 link the Line conductor to the Earth conductor of the circuit you want to test and test. I dont see how you have the RCD involved at all??

I agree with the previous helpers, if you are testing R1 R2 then the RCD is nothing to do with it, I have just thought do you mean Zs?

Not being funny here but what are you doing carrying out R1+R2 (dead testing) with the main switch and RCD ENERGISED in the first place???

ALL switches and circuits should be OFF when doing this so the RCD should have no bearing on anything whatsoever.

Having re-read your post I can only assume you mean Zs???

If the RCD unit is not installed at the origin of the circuit then you might have to carry out the R1 + R2 test in 2 stages. ie from origin to RCD unit then from RCD unit to end of final circuit.
Alternatively carry out an R2 test with a wander lead.

Again i'm not entirely sure of the set up you are trying to describe.

Last edited:
R1 R2 DEAD test shouldnt affect RCD as the circuit is isolated Are you sure your competant to test or Check your OSG meks sure as you could not only injur yourself but damage your tester and possibly leave unsafe

everything is ISOLATED dont worry!! and yes i do know what test im doing.

The test i was doing was continuity of cpc on a radial circuit. the radial ciruit has a MCB at the board then goes through an rcd then to a single socket. I disconnect the line conductor from the MCB and the cpc from the earth bar link them together then go to the socket and test between the line and earth conductor with meter set on low ohms CONTNUITY, when testing with the old fluke 1651 i get a proper reading but using the newer 1651b it trips the rcd. I take it by everyones reaction they have not experianced this

everything is ISOLATED dont worry!! and yes i do know what test im doing.

The test i was doing was continuity of cpc on a radial circuit. the radial ciruit has a MCB at the board then goes through an rcd then to a single socket. I disconnect the line conductor from the MCB and the cpc from the earth bar link them together then go to the socket and test between the line and earth conductor with meter set on low ohms CONTNUITY, when testing with the old fluke 1651 i get a proper reading but using the newer 1651b it trips the rcd. I take it by everyones reaction they have not experianced this

If you're testing with one tester and it's ok, then with another tester then it's not, I'd suggest that one or other of the testers is knacked.

If you haven't laid in the circuit yourelf, make sure that Mr. DIY hasn't linked one circuit to another somewhere, or even linked neutral to line elsewhere to cause a trip when testing. If the RCD is tripping when it's all isolated at the board, there HAS to be a connection elsewhere to cause this surely?

Probably will trip the RCD if the RCD is in the circuit after the MCB then what you are doing is slapping a few volts and ma's through the RCD even though the voltage you are testing at is low the current used in the R1 and R2 test my exceed that of the RCD its being tested across 2 conductors causing and imbalance thus the RCD trips , as sintra says do a to stage test or tempuaraly remove the RCD oh and what ever you do dont do an IR test with the RCD in the circuit

Reply to R1 + R2 on RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net