Discuss Radial For Fridge Freezer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Hi all.
I am just about to change a CU at my mum's house. Apart from the fact that there is no bonding to any pipework, which I will rectify when I fit the CU, the f/freezer is currently on a radial fed by 2 core RUBBER sheathed 1.5mm cable. There is no cpc to speak of!! This cable also goes on to supply a FCU fused to 3A to supply over cupboard lighting in the unit above the fridge.

I was thinking of running in a new radial just to feed fridge and the lighting, but keeping it on the non RCD side of the board. Can this be done or do I need to RCD protect the lighting (so thereby get its power source from elsewhere).

Also with a non RCD protected radial for the Fridge, does the cable have to be run in earthed steel conduit or will plastic suffice?

Again this is for NICEIC assessment so want it to be perfect (as always :D)

Cheers all

Matt

as long as you lable the fridge socket for specific use it need not have an rcd/rcbo the additional cable to the lights will not rcd/rcbo if you keep the cable surface ie mini trunking

when you say non rcd side what sort of cu are you going to fit

as long as you lable the fridge socket for specific use it need not have an rcd/rcbo the additional cable to the lights will not rcd/rcbo if you keep the cable surface ie mini trunking

when you say non rcd side what sort of cu are you going to fit

Gonna use a 10 way Wylex High Integrity board (2 circuits unprotected and 4 + 4 protected).
There is also a circuit going out to the garage which will go nicely in second unprotected slot and a garage CU with RCD installed, as there isn't currently one in there. Nor is there any CPC but thats a completely different story!! :D

Regarding the fridge radial; I will run it all the way to the lighting FCU inside conduit after that the cables are surface mounted anyway so problem solved! yay!

Cheers for the reply chap.

Matt

The no Rcd reg is for "one item of current using equipment"
I dont think you are permitted to run a lighting spur off this circuit

Ah! Interesting point Des!
But, the way I understand it (which is probably wrong :D) is that if the entire circuit is surface mounted in conduit, Zs is fine and its not servicing a bathroom, then no RCD would be req'd regardless of the amount of points it services. (OSG P21-22)

Ah! Interesting point Des!
But, the way I understand it (which is probably wrong :D) is that if the entire circuit is surface mounted in conduit, Zs is fine and its not servicing a bathroom, then no RCD would be req'd regardless of the amount of points it services. (OSG P21-22)

I would run a seperate radial for the fridge and then put it on the non rcd side but then install an rcbo,, i would do this as if there is any faults on any other circuit then the fridge stays on , also you can chase the cable in the wall.

I would run a seperate radial for the fridge and then put it on the non rcd side but then install an rcbo,, i would do this as if there is any faults on any other circuit then the fridge stays on , also you can chase the cable in the wall.

hi

the only problem with that is if a fault occurs on the fridge it will take out the rcbo and maybe by the time you discover it all your food has had it. just a thought.. ;)

regards
gary

i wouldnt use an rcbo on the fridge circuit. if your going to do that you may as well put it on the kitchen ring.
thats the point of putting it on its own designated circuit so that you dont have an inline rcd/rcbo due to nuisance tripping

i wouldnt use an rcbo on the fridge circuit. if your going to do that you may as well put it on the kitchen ring.
thats the point of putting it on its own designated circuit so that you dont have an inline rcd/rcbo due to nuisance tripping

If you put it on the kitchen ring then any appliance that gets a fault with it will then effect fridge, with my way its only the fridge itself will cause it to trip.

therefore if the dishwasher becomes faulty and trips the circuit then the fridge is not effected.

your method will also effect fridge if dishwasher fails

hi

the only problem with that is if a fault occurs on the fridge it will take out the rcbo and maybe by the time you discover it all your food has had it. just a thought.. ;)

regards
gary

if a fault occurs on any of the following ways wont it trip the fridge.....

if a fault occurs on one of your appliances while your on holiday then you will still have a fridge full of food. if its on kitchen ring then you loose the fridge as well.

I personally dont do seperate radials for fridges but there are benifits,,

Hi all.
Cheers for all the interest chaps.

I have decided to surface mount the circuit as the CU backs onto the kitchen wall where the FF is situated, and the conduit will actually run behind the FF all the way anyway (so no one will be any the wiser). The reason for this is there is a lighting spur taken off the existing circuit and its just easier to hook it up to the new surface mounted circuit rather than try to find the D/Stairs ring (no separate kitchen ring) under the tiled floor.

I will label the socket as non rcd protected and if its used for anything else at a later stage (which is doubtful) then an RCBO can always be fitted in the CU.

Thanks again everyone.

Matt

This is what i do.

Put the fridge on the kitchen ring.
When you install new CU put a twin switched socket at the side of it or below or above, 2.5mm T&E straight into 16a MCB on non RCD part of board, no exposed cable.
At least then the circuit is compliant and customer has a get out of jail card, they just need etxn lead.

Most people go in their fridges daily and not having power for this amount of time i no problem.
If they come home after 2 weeks holiday to defrosted fridge and scrap food then this is why they should have insurance.

Regards..........Howard

:D
if a fault occurs on any of the following ways wont it trip the fridge.....

if a fault occurs on one of your appliances while your on holiday then you will still have a fridge full of food. if its on kitchen ring then you loose the fridge as well.

I personally dont do seperate radials for fridges but there are benifits,,

i was thinking you have more chance of realising that the trip has gone if its on with other appliances, i had a customer the other day with the freezer citcuit on its own rcbo and cos it was in the garage no one noticed until it was too late....probably couple of hundred quids worth lost :mad:. best way to get around the holiday thing is to stay at home!! :D

cheers
gary

:D

i was thinking you have more chance of realising that the trip has gone if its on with other appliances, i had a customer the other day with the freezer citcuit on its own rcbo and cos it was in the garage no one noticed until it was too late....probably couple of hundred quids worth lost :mad:. best way to get around the holiday thing is to stay at home!! :D

cheers
gary

LIKE it

Matt, What did you use to feed the none rcd MCB in the CU. I like to use Wylex boards too but there is no links provided to add none RCD circuits as std. Did you make one or extra order with the CU takle?

Reply to Radial For Fridge Freezer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net