Discuss Radial For Fridge Freezer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Matt, What did you use to feed the none rcd MCB in the CU. I like to use Wylex boards too but there is no links provided to add none RCD circuits as std. Did you make one or extra order with the CU takle?

Wylex do a high integrity board....comes with 2 non RCD protected ways.

Matt, What did you use to feed the none rcd MCB in the CU. I like to use Wylex boards too but there is no links provided to add none RCD circuits as std. Did you make one or extra order with the CU takle?

Hey Timo,

Here's the board the guys are talking about

WYLEX 10-Way Fully Insulated High Integrity Consumer Unit - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Matt

This is what i do.

Put the fridge on the kitchen ring.
When you install new CU put a twin switched socket at the side of it or below or above, 2.5mm T&E straight into 16a MCB on non RCD part of board, no exposed cable.
At least then the circuit is compliant and customer has a get out of jail card, they just need etxn lead.

Most people go in their fridges daily and not having power for this amount of time i no problem.
If they come home after 2 weeks holiday to defrosted fridge and scrap food then this is why they should have insurance.

Regards..........Howard

Hi Howard,
Cheers for your reply chap. Problem though is that there's no separate kitchen ring as such. Just one big GF ring. The kitchen fitters had a field day clipping cables down behind units etc and the floor is tiled so i don't wanna go there if i don't have to, as belling cables out just aint happening!! Can't see any value in putting that socket on the ring. It'd be easier to run it off another radial that services a different point in the kitchen and then rcd the circuit and see what happens re tripping. The house has had many additions in its 70 odd years so there radials all over the place. Really a full rewire is in order but my parents dont need the ag at the moment and the existing cables are in good condition (apart from that one circuit being rubber :D). All readings are fine and Ins resistance max's my tester out, so no reason to start messing around just now. I just need to get in and out of there sharpish and get the paperwork done so I can get ready for my NIC inspection!!

All said and done I think the easiest (and most compliant) solution is to wire the socket from the non protected side of the board, keep it on the surface and only service the fridge.

if your're leaving the gf ring as is and it is a ring then why not spur off the board? just an option.
would you not need to label if 2 sockets in the same room are fed off different circuits?
gl matt

if your're leaving the gf ring as is and it is a ring then why not spur off the board? just an option.
would you not need to label if 2 sockets in the same room are fed off different circuits?
gl matt

Hey Chris,
Yeah you are bang on, chap. I had no diagrams to go by but will be leaving quite a comprehensive one behind me as the kitchen has turned out to be quite a surprising little room. There's 4 double sockets on the main ring and 2 further sockets each on there own radial (fridge is one of them) also the boiler is fed from the upstairs ring through the ceiling. Not a bad little collection when you consider that the kitchen is about 9ft square!! :D

I'm gonna do exactly as you suggested mate. Radial straight from the CU, surface mounted and labelled as non RCD. If the use changes for the socket in years to come an RCBO can be added or it can switch sides to be RCD protected if there's room.

I have a few other things to tidy up in the place and dont want to spend too much time on that part as its not the biggest issue I have :(

Cheers again chap.

Matt

Reply to Radial For Fridge Freezer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net