Discuss rcbo tripping intermittantly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jmc1683

new installation, RCBO on one socket ring tripping intermittantly, can last 20mins to 1 hour. not worried, I will find the problem just wondering where the rest of you would start

its a commercial type fuse board, old type, I've rewired completely but changed all the MCB's to RCBO's, its just a socket ring, no applicances, nothing plugged in.

new installation, RCBO on one socket ring tripping intermittantly, can last 20mins to 1 hour. not worried, I will find the problem just wondering where the rest of you would start
a one socket ring dosent sound quite right, however.
it sounds like either an earth / neutral fault ( have you carried out your IR tests?, could be a faulty rcbo, have you tried it with another? ,,or it could be whatever appliance is drawing from the circuit that's the 3 in would be looking at first

its a commercial type fuse board, old type, I've rewired completely but changed all the MCB's to RCBO's, its just a socket ring, no applicances, nothing plugged in.
well then test the cable....you says it lasts for an hour or so....then lets go....
it may be some damp someware getting in....theres no outside stuff wired off ov this is there?

it may trip on times half and be too sensitive and faulty, either that or a bad connection somewhere, test kit and sort it is the things I am thinking haha

I checked some connections, seem ok. no damp. my first thought was to change the RCBO, didnt get a chance yet, first thing in the morning. then my collegue will be arriving with brand new megger multimeter, some piece of kit the plodding plonker

yep..my next thing murdoch....and be sure to check all outlets...not just the ones you suspect are being fed from this circuit....as it seems odd that theres only one outlet on this ring...get your end to ends....then get an R1 Rn & R1 R2 round the points...

what do you mean one outlet? I wired it myself, I know exactly what points are on the ring, I know the exact route. there's about 6 double sockets, just worked out given the layout, and its a small gym (private house)

People are getting confused because of the 'one socket' ring when I think you mean one ring final circuit.
Also you'd think you would know exactly how many sockets there are but you say 'about' 6!

take it you have done your end to end readings and ir tested if that all ok then test rcbo if that all ok take off sockets one by one as only 6 not worth messing around

Reply to rcbo tripping intermittantly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net