Discuss RCD For Three phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
1) To comply with the latest Reg's I assume that 230v 16A sockets for general use, now need RCD protection.

2) If the same type of outlet is for additional isolation of fixed equipment , an RCD is not required as long as it is labelled that it is not to be used for any other purpose.

Is this correct.

Andre'

If it is fixed equipment that is to be supplied, does it have to be a socket ?
In theory a labelled socket complies with the regs and covers your back, but in practice the label gets ignored and sockets get re-purposed for mobile equipment.

I believe that labels are not always required.
For instance a socket behind a cooker or other under worktop appliance which is obviously intended for whatever item of equipment is in place would to my mind not require a label.
Similarly for a socket in an airing cupboard for a combi boiler, or even a socket next to a TV aerial socket.

Thanks for the feed back,

The equipment is at high level in a factory, the switched socket will be adjacent to it, Controls are at ground level, The equipment needs to be lowered for servicing, so maintenance crew only need to unplug it before lowering it to the ground. Just wanted to check that RCD was not required. I'll fit a warning label just to cover myself.

Andre'

Only if the equipment specifies RCD protection would you need to fit it in this particular case, at that height I wouldn't even worry about lables either its clearly not going to be used for portable equipment.

Reply to RCD For Three phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have a scenario where there is a three phase DB in a commercial property where there are mixture of three phase and single phase washing...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am at odds on whether RCD protection is required on an SWA of 14 metres, clipped direct under flooring direct from CU to an exterior...
Replies
Views
TT system, existing three phase fuse board recently installed by another spark which only has single phase circuits terminated into individual...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I am rewiring a commercial launderette with 3 phase machinery. Does the machinery need to be RCD protected being in commando sockets...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick one regarding the need for RCD protection for socket outlets rated up to and including 32A. I have been tasked to install...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock