Discuss Rcd Fused Spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to work on a board with no RCD protection. Rewiring kitchen lighting and adding downlights. Is it acceptable to install a 30mA RCD spur unit at the consumer unit, feed the spur direct from the MCB, fuse the load side at 13A (Leaving the 5A MCB protecting the circuit) and use this for the RCD protection of the lighting circuit? Therefore the whole of the circuit is then protected.

Personally I would favour a board swap but the clients wallet is not allowing.

I don't see why not if an rcbo/board change isn't possible and the circuit requires additional rcd protection, does the job.

Depending on budget the RCD fused connection unit may be cheaper and then you don't have to bother about 421.1.201......I know it could be argued that an RCD doesn't fall under similar switchgear but depending on which scheme your with they may class it as such.

Depending on budget the RCD fused connection unit may be cheaper and then you don't have to bother about 421.1.201......I know it could be argued that an RCD doesn't fall under similar switchgear but depending on which scheme your with they may class it as such.
That is a good point, metalclad spur then.

Yes, not considered that. I suspect it would be classed as 'similar switchgear assemblies' as I am using it to protect a whole circuit and not using it just to spur off a circuit.

If you're not adding any new wiring buried in the walls, then no need to add RCD protection. If required, see if you can get an RCBO to fit to existing board. Otherwise an RCD spur or just an RCD would do the job.

(Edit: Left it too long between opening thread and replying!)

Tis a regular discussion. If you advise the customer accordingly, nowt wrong with RCD FCU, and I don't think 421.1.201 applies in these circumstances, its a circuit accessory not switchgear or similar assemblies for Pete's sake (not Pete999 sake).

Stand alone RCD as already mentioned is your best bet , maybe an RCD fused spur if the circuit is for lighting and the the board is obsolete and no spare 6A breaker ....

Reply to Rcd Fused Spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net