Discuss RCD fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Query regarding a Passive RCD fused spur unit protecting a bank of 4 led downlights supplied via switched live and nuetral. I have been asked to replace the downlights. Cant be totally sure but i think RCD spur was to protect the (addition)of the downlights. The rcd is passive so will remain latched when switched.

Sounds like a bit of an odd arrangement but there is no particular reason to change it if you were changing the downlights.

The lights would not require 30mA RCD protection; unless they are in a bathroom in which case the circuit feeding the bathroom would need protection.
If the cable is buried less than 50mm in a wall then that would need to 30mA RCD but presumably the cable before the switch would also be needing RCD protection so the addition seems odd.
I can see that if the cable were surface run and it was a switch fed wiring arrangement going to bathroom downlights then a 30mA RCD after the switch would be a compliant method of installing the downlights, but not generally the way I would do it.

Query regarding a Passive RCD fused spur unit protecting a bank of 4 led downlights supplied via switched live and nuetral. I have been asked to replace the downlights. Cant be totally sure but i think RCD spur was to protect the (addition)of the downlights. The rcd is passive so will remain latched when switched.
Passive rcd?

A passive rcd spur stays latched on in the event of voltage loss/power cut. The other type non passive or active switch off with voltage loss/power cut bit like a no-volt release.
Well thanks mate, learning never stops does it, have seen that type but by a different name, don't ask me what name it was a while ago and my memory isn't what it was/should be

Sounds like a bit of an odd arrangement but there is no particular reason to change it if you were changing the downlights.

The lights would not require 30mA RCD protection; unless they are in a bathroom in which case the circuit feeding the bathroom would need protection.
If the cable is buried less than 50mm in a wall then that would need to 30mA RCD but presumably the cable before the switch would also be needing RCD protection so the addition seems odd.
I can see that if the cable were surface run and it was a switch fed wiring arrangement going to bathroom downlights then a 30mA RCD after the switch would be a compliant method of installing the downlights, but not generally the way I would do it.
The downlights are in a toilet cloakroom.(Bungalowe) No cables buried less than 50mm all are located in loft void. Switch is a ceiling pull switch, so all cables are surface. I agree Richard an odd arrangement and not the way i would usually do it.

Im assuming that the Powerbreaker RCD Fused spur which is passive will operate correctly even though its supply is being switched via the pull cord light switch. Ive looked on the green brook website no information available

Im assuming that the Powerbreaker RCD Fused spur which is passive will operate correctly even though its supply is being switched via the pull cord light switch. Ive looked on the green brook website no information available
Don't see why not but obviously will only function when the lights are on.

yes i agree lol only works when light switch is pulled. The rcd is not actually unlatching and latching every time the lights are turned on or off, as is passive, so i guess no extra strain on the RCD mechanism

Ditto above, but I'm not sure if the constant powering up & down of the rcd is going to do it any good? If the rcd is not required, why not remove it?

Not ideal I know but even if not required some RCD protection is better than none so don't really want to remove. Guess it's still working even with the switched supply
Not sure I agree, if additional protection is not required, then it serves no useful purpose. If you are leaving it in, why not correct the installation of it?

i have only been asked to replace the actual downlight fittings, don't think customer would be too happy with the added expense of altering the lighting circuit. my concern was with the rcd being on the switched side as it is not a standard arrangement but many thanks for your replies.

Perhaps if you explained the situation to the customer. Sounds like the existing install is either diy project or done by sparks who didn't know what he/she was doing. I'd be looking closely at what I was adding to.

Perhaps if you explained the situation to the customer. Sounds like the existing install is either diy project or done by sparks who didn't know what he/she was doing. I'd be looking closely at what I was adding to.
Would definitely test circuit and have a good look first, would need MWC anyway.

Reply to RCD fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net