Discuss RCD Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

demkap

Hi people,

just wanted a bit of advice. I carried out a PIR in july 2014 the fusebox had rcd on sockets but not lights. The estate agent is trying to say it was not and is not up to current regs now or then so they are trying to make me pay for a new box out of my own money. This is surely not right? i listed it down as a code 3?

Cheers
Demetri

Hi people,

just wanted a bit of advice. I carried out a PIR in july 2014 the fusebox had rcd on sockets but not lights. The estate agent is trying to say it was not and is not up to current regs now or then so they are trying to make me pay for a new box out of my own money. This is surely not right? i listed it down as a code 3?

Cheers
Demetri

What age is the installation?

Last edited:
if it was installed before 2008, then a code C3 is correct. in any case, he's trying it on. your job was to prepare a report, not to update the installation. tell him to swivel.

What were you commissioned /paid to do, P.I.R or P.I.R and full correction of defects?

P.I.R identifies items requiring attention, as shown by your code 3.
The decision to proceed with work is the customers responsibility (or their AGENT).

An Estate Agent should be very familiar with P.I.Rs and will have acted on them before.
You would not expect to have to explain it to them as you would to an average single property owner.

thanks for your input everyone. i know the estate agent is a joke! maybe even an annoying other spark has gone in there and had a look and tried to be difficult! all i know is the fusebox has rcd on the sockets and not on the lights, so by them saying it wasnt and isnt up to standard regs is a joke. what do you think is the best thing to say so i can explain to them and give them peace of mind that its all ok?

its a code c3 which i put as an improvement anyway, the email was theartening saying I myself would have pay for the fusebox as its not up to current standard ha!

thanks for your input everyone. i know the estate agent is a joke! maybe even an annoying other spark has gone in there and had a look and tried to be difficult! all i know is the fusebox has rcd on the sockets and not on the lights, so by them saying it wasnt and isnt up to standard regs is a joke. what do you think is the best thing to say so i can explain to them and give them peace of mind that its all ok?

its a code c3 which i put as an improvement anyway, the email was threatening saying I myself would have pay for the fusebox as its not up to current standard ha!

I would ask the estate agent, in writing to confirm the regs that the "other" spark you say is wrong.

if the installation predates 2008 then a C3 is appropriate

There's the really helpful Best Practice Guide you could send him a link to as welll.

Good luck!

i was asked to carry out a PIR but they dont even call it that ha they call it an NICEIC! jokers! im annoyed at them

And the regs call it an EICR ;)

But whatever you call it the job is to report on the condition of the installation, which you did. End of story! If they wish to have remedial works done that is a seperate job which they may employ you to carry out, or any electrician of their choice.

yea i call it an EICR but last year a PIR haha, even with the new regs non combustible fusebox, would you give an older installation a C3 for that?

gor blimey. 6 of us agreeing on an issue. that;s a first. :devilish:

yea i call it an EICR but last year a PIR haha, even with the new regs non combustible fusebox, would you give an older installation a C3 for that?

no because there is currently no regulation saying theu need to be, unless it is not suitable for the enviroment it is fitted in.

I don't see how the year of installation affects the gravity of the defect. A periodic inspection is not about assessing whether it was compliant or not at the time of installation.

I don't see how the year of installation affects the gravity of the defect. A periodic inspection is not about assessing whether it was compliant or not at the time of installation.

It doesn't but existing installations that have been constructed in accordance with earlier editions of bs7671 may not comply with the current edition in every respect, but this does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

I agree with Risteard here, the age af installation has nothing to do with it.

For a start there is no requirement in bs7671 for rcd protection for lights.
So I'm assuming that were talking about cables buried in walls <50mm without mechanical protection etc in which case it's a code 3.

its a code c3 which i put as an improvement anyway, the email was theartening saying I myself would have pay for the fusebox as its not up to current standard ha!

...a particularly ideal opportunity for you to visit "in person",and allow the sender to reiterate his thoughts orally,a method which religiously provides satisfaction for oneself ...

...An estate agent...issuing "thearts"? ...it's enough to give you the 'ump...and we can't have that,can we? :43:

Reply to RCD Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net