Discuss Rcd not tripping and ramp test more than 30ma in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Il put it down as C2 I am going back to test at the RCD itself with loads disconnected and see what happens, iv megger the all circuits and no issues on low readings. When I tested it at socket 1 times came up 300ms so that's why I done Ramp test. I suspected it was a faulty RCD. Thanks for your help guys

Sorry, I just assumed (obviously incorrectly) that you had carried out the test properly in the first place.
Don't code anything until you have carried out the test correctly and then think about coding it.

Why would you suspect a faulty RCD from an incorrectly carried out test? You might as well IR test a socket circuit with appliances plugged in and conclude that a cable has degraded from a low reading!!

Sorry, I just assumed (obviously incorrectly) that you had carried out the test properly in the first place.
Don't code anything until you have carried out the test correctly and then think about coding it.

Why would you suspect a faulty RCD from an incorrectly carried out test? You might as well IR test a socket circuit with appliances plugged in and conclude that a cable has degraded from a low reading!!

Bought an MFT off Fleabay & it didn't have any instructions with it???

me and geordie are old, bu tnot faulty. senile perhaps.

#21 some RCD units can be tested out at the load side with appliances plugged in & the readings are correct in fact I know of one sparks that had everything disconnected & tested his RCD's at the board & found that he had suspect readings (FAULTY RCD) bells rang out & when he tested second RCD on same board alarm bells rang.
After f... about a bit then re-tested with load on & got the results for the RCD & all ok, think this has been debated before on an early post.
maybe new to testing might have used the forum for some advice & not a bashing. (8 posts)

Last edited:
the recommended test interval is 10years for domestic but can be less if you feel that it is required.

In fairness that is only the recommended initial frequency. There is no recommendation for a subsequent periodic inspection as to what the reinspection interval should be.

When installing an RCD, there is always a sticker informing the consumer to test regularly by pressing the test button, I have been out of the game now for a couple of years (retired), so things may have changed, but in all my years I have not come across a customer who has done this. The switch is held in mechanically, so in my opinion I would have tested the trip a few times before doing a final check, then act accordingly.

The switch is held in mechanically, so in my opinion I would have tested the trip a few times before doing a final check, then act accordingly.

The problem with doing that is that someone isn't going to press the Test button half a dozen times before every earth fault.

Not really, because they should be regularly tested.

But if an RCD fails to operate when tested then it is not recommended to keep pressing the test button and retesting until it passes. The RCD has failed.

If the current stream of politicians wittering about the EU,have only taught us one thing,it is some things get worse,the more you press them...:smilewinkgrin:

If the current stream of politicians wittering about the EU,have only taught us one thing,it is some things get worse,the more you press them...:smilewinkgrin:
wittering. i like that word.on a par with chuntering and blathering. all words that remind me of geordies. :lipsrsealed2:

wittering. i like that word.on a par with chuntering and blathering. all words that remind me of geordies. :lipsrsealed2:

Got a small job for a retired Geordie sparks tomorrow, he always gets me in for bits and pieces as he's nearly 80 now. This fella has a bit of a stammer, reminds me of a Geordie version of Arkwright. :biggrin:

Dave,are you far enough down-country,to tell him"wats th urry? tamarras not touched yet,my larver..."

A particular favourite of mine,told to my mother-in-law,by a St.Ives roofer,concerning her leaking porch roof...

He returned 4 months later...and without a shred of irony,asked her to put the kettle on :shocked3:

Hi All

got call 2 days ago customer saying cooker was not working, it had tripped a couple of times & the fact that they were all RCBO's but unusually another RCBO also tripped, I mentioned that they are separate except for the common N connection as single pole.

But really interesting part was that I pressed the test button & nothing happened it did not work, isolated circuit removed cooker switch & as I removed found burned wires & almost touching through, separated wires & established power again to test RCBO working fine no problem.
it seems under certain conditions that the RCBO will not operate think the coil must have been must have been saturated for the test button not to work.
full range of tests for the circuit & ok, when i disconnected the cooker cables from the high level JB sticking out of wall so I could restore power until I cooker run new cable in. light not tripping also but did mention if someone had pinched a Neutral that this could cause it but will test for that when I go back.

I'd be inclined to think that there is a fault somewhere causing this if the test button works.

The test button connects a resistor of approx 4k into the circuit to cause an imbalance of about 60ma. So it will trip pretty quickly.
If you measure between the line and neutral with the button pushed in you can measure the applied resistance ( disconect it all first though !! )

Rcd not tripping and ramp test more than 30ma IMG_3900 - EletriciansForums.net

Dave,are you far enough down-country,to tell him"wats th urry? tamarras not touched yet,my larver..."

A particular favourite of mine,told to my mother-in-law,by a St.Ives roofer,concerning her leaking porch roof...

He returned 4 months later...and without a shred of irony,asked her to put the kettle on :shocked3:

Hahaha yes mate, I've been known to mention kettles if no offers are forthcoming after half an hour at the job. :D

Reply to Rcd not tripping and ramp test more than 30ma in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock