Discuss RCD not tripping in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm stubbed on a new installation which I tested today. It is a M2 split board with a TT earthing system. All test results were fine until I attempted RCD tests. The test button works on both RCD's and the RCD main switch. The main switch is 0.1A and the two RCD's is 0.03A. But they both don't trip when 1x and 5x is attempted on my Fluke. It is a small installation so I checked everything and there is screws etc through anything and the polarity of the RCD is fine.
I haven't changed the RCDs yet as wondering if anyone else has come across this and may know anything else I could check.

Thanks

This is the other query as the figure I got was 412 ohms which I believed was to high (200 ohms)but my boss stated it was fine and within 1665 ohms which is acceptable.

How many rods and how deep?

I don't know the soil conditions where you are so can't comment on that value without a bit more information. If you've achieved that with multiple long rods then it will probably be stable, or if it's just one little rod then it is unacceptable.

That is a very high Ra but it should not prevent the RCD operating.
Test the RCDs with the outgoing conductors disconnected and see how it goes.

I have had a couple of instances with Ra's around 500-600 ohms where the RCD would trip, but not in the permitted times. Both these installs were upgraded to PME and the trip times were then satisfactory. Agree with DS; if it's one four foot rod only then it will likely be unstable and fluctuate markedly.

Last edited:

Reply to RCD not tripping in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock