Discuss Rcd or not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Im asking for advice not your cocky remarks. Ive just started out on my own and now having to think for myself.

I dont know every page of the regs yet like you oldies and i havent got time to check them.

No theres no RCD protection in the property at all.
I suspect that post was aimed at me, although I could be wrong,
Im asking for advice not your cocky remarks. Ive just started out on my own and now having to think for myself.

I dont know every page of the regs yet like you oldies and i havent got time to check them.

I suspect that post was aimed at me, although I may be wrong, Liam you are a practicing Electrician, charging people for the work you do, to say you don't have time to check makes me shudder, and believe it or not, I don't know everything, nor can I navigate , BS 7671 very quickly with remarks like this one, you may find people unwilling to help.

Its wasnt aimed at any one person, im looking for a quick bit of advice. Navigating around the regs book can be time consuming and im am very busy right now, i thought thats what these forums were for, i must be mistaken.

These forums are for advice.

However, we are all busy too. An as stated you are an "Industrial electrician" you must have been working to the regs for some time now. An knowing where RCD protection is required is one of the more basic requirements.

If you look through, the reg number required has already been given.

Its wasnt aimed at any one person, im looking for a quick bit of advice. Navigating around the regs book can be time consuming and im am very busy right now, i thought thats what these forums were for, i must be mistaken.

Posts like this worry me. You are presumably charging the customer for this job but you openly state that you don't know the requirements for RCD protection and that you don't have time to look at the regs for them. Something is very wrong here.

Also, your atttitude to people is downright rude - how you expect to get any help when you post like this is beyond me also.

Daz

Tis fundamental knowledge you shouldn't even have to consult the Regs.

Most equipment these days in a domestic property in the Uk will run on an RCD unit, unless the manufacture says in the instruction manual not to install on an RCD, if they do then you will have to think about how you install cables to the isolator without the need for RCD protection.
if in doubt install with an RCD main switch & if all ok leave it.

Hi @Liam howe , can we not write abrassive comments like this, doing so will bring you to the attention of ourselves (Staff), I have read through the thread I cannot see any reason why you felt such a response was warranted, if I have missed something than please enlighten me otherwise refrain from such an attitude.

I see you have come on the forum looking for help but expressed a 'cannot be bothered' attitude to looking such info up in the reg's, the fact members have even bothered to help you here given your approach is very good of them.
Your regulations should be your bible and having the attitude that its some sort of inconvenience is a tad worrying in all honesty. I will, like the majority of members on here agree that the regulations can be confusing and sometimes seem contradictary and that's where we can help out as a forum but we expect you to put the effort in too to benefit from the help our members offer, we hope you take this into account before you post any future threads, your background in industrial should be to your advantage as this usually requires better knowledge of the BS7671 than simply doing only domestic, the same regulations and rules found in the industrial and commercial scene are the same regs that are used in domestic too.

PS .. For future reference, if you feel any member has posted something you find offensive or abusive then please hit the report button at the bottom of their post, we will then review the report and deal with it accordingly, don't take it up on yourself to respond in a similar manner as the staff usually end up wasting our valuable time editing and deleting posts and handing out infractions or worse.

Regards, Darkwood

Hi @Liam howe , can we not write abrassive comments like this, doing so will bring you to the attention of ourselves (Staff), I have read through the thread I cannot see any reason why you felt such a response was warranted, if I have missed something than please enlighten me otherwise refrain from such an attitude.

I see you have come on the forum looking for help but expressed a 'cannot be bothered' attitude to looking such info up in the reg's, the fact members have even bothered to help you here given your approach is very good of them.
Your regulations should be your bible and having the attitude that its some sort of inconvenience is a tad worrying in all honesty. I will, like the majority of members on here agree that the regulations can be confusing and sometimes seem contradictary and that's where we can help out as a forum but we expect you to put the effort in too to benefit from the help our members offer, we hope you take this into account before you post any future threads, your background in industrial should be to your advantage as this usually requires better knowledge of the BS7671 than simply doing only domestic, the same regulations and rules found in the industrial and commercial scene are the same regs that are used in domestic too.

PS .. For future reference, if you feel any member has posted something you find offensive or abusive then please hit the report button at the bottom of their post, we will then review the report and deal with it accordingly, don't take it up on yourself to respond in a similar manner as the staff usually end up wasting our valuable time editing and deleting posts and handing out infractions or worse.

Regards, Darkwood

THANKS

Shame there isn't a thanks button any more.....

Reply to Rcd or not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock