Discuss Rcd protecting new ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davek

Hi all,
I have been to look at a job, in a unit who require extra socket in a office. It is one of those building that has been split into small units,
The supply is 3ph. Each unit is supplied from mains with separate meters and a 3pole isolation switch with bs88 fuse 63a.
the board is a merlin gerin isobar 4c. the breaker are c60hb. my thought where rcbo but I can only get a c rated 32a which using table b6 gives me 0.58 ohms the zs at supply to board is 0.18.any thought or suggestions.
thanks
Dave

Re: Rcd prottecting new ring main

Can you not spur off an existing socket, and install a rcd socket outlet?

I did not want to use existing as some of it looks quite old and shabby, don't think customer would go with the expense of 7 rcd sockets fitted the other thought I had was fit a small rcd c/u nect to the board and put in a 40a b type.

Your post never mentioned 7 new sockets mate,I'll think it over

first question is what's the design current of the new circuit. if it's office, then a lot of the load may be IT... low current but high integrity earthing.

Ok thanks sorry sometime you forget add these thing as was mainly thinking on the breaker there is about a 5 meter run to the office partion so cable length is a concern on r1+r2

as far as a I have been told just heater fan or some oil rad pc and printer just sort of wanted socket add all round for general use as far as I know

Ok thanks sorry sometime you forget add these thing as was mainly thinking on the breaker there is about a 5 meter run to the office partion so cable length is a concern on r1+r2

I'm pedantic Dave you mean R1+R2 surely, try ebay for a MG b type rcbo Ive just had a quick butchers and there seems plenty to chose from

so, say yout rfc circuit is 50m end-end. that will give you a R1+R2 of approx 0.25Ω. addthat to your 0.18Ω, gives a Zs for the circuit of 0.43Ω. well within the 0.58Ω you quoted for the RCBO.

Last edited:
hi pete
yes may have et one off net just ha a quick ring round must locals only ha c in some just sounds like it was something odd

Can you get 20amp type c or b? If it's a small office you could wire a couple of radials in 4mm which will give you plenty to play with

so, say yout rfc circuit is 50m end-end. that will give you a R1+R2 of approx 0.25Ω. addthat to your 0.18Ω, gives a Zs for the circuit of 0.0.43Ω. well within the 0.58Ω you quoted for the RCBO.

yes hope full, just didn't want be to near the limits, but may order a b type just found one on tlc cheaper than the c breaker I have so that may be the answer

The Schneider KQ range come in type B, simply buy one of these and remove the clip on attatchment and there you have a type B MCB that will fit this board.

Reply to Rcd protecting new ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net