Discuss RCD protection for circuits in a toilet (not shower/bathroom) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

ive came across a couple EICRs conducted by other electricians that are unsatisfactory due to lack of RCD protection.

The general use sockets have RCD protection but the circuits they have suggested is lacking RCD protection in the hand dryers, heaters and water heaters within the toilet. They is no bath or shower just the toilet and basin. It is also a commercial installation.

Does this sound right? I always thought this is only the case if they was the shower or bath.

Hi guys,

ive came across a couple EICRs conducted by other electricians that are unsatisfactory due to lack of RCD protection.

The general use sockets have RCD protection but the circuits they have suggested is lacking RCD protection in the hand dryers and heaters within the toilet. They is no bath or shower just the toilet and basin. It is also a commercial installation.

Does this sound right? I always thought this is only the case if they was the shower or bath.

Why don't you have a look through your BYB as this sound suspiciously like your "what would you code this" queries that you keep posting.

Last edited:
lee no need to jump down my neck pal and wreck my post. If you not got anything constructive to add then you should not be replying. Im asking as i cant find anything that states RCD protection is required.

Hum... matey, you seem to be expecting a lot from this forum and are giving very little.......

if these appliances are wired to FCUs and the cables are not buried in the walls < 50mm without other means of protection, there's no requirement for RCD proptection.

Well i suppose we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

i think alot of new people on the forum will agree with me that if you come on new and not part of your "click" then they people on here that like to undermine people because they have alot more experience then others. They people on here that will just post none useful and off topic comments to try make themself look good infront on their peers.

Im just saying
Give a guy a break

i think alot of new people on the forum will agree with me that if you come on new and not part of your "click" then they people on here that like to undermine people because they have alot more experience then others. They people on here that will just post none useful and off topic comments to try make themself look good infront on their peers.

Im just saying

Its the fact the level of questions are very basic, most my 1st year apprentice could give you the answer to. You never update your threads just start another one, never like or thanks anyone's posts for given You the answers you are looking for. Its not about being apart of a "click" as you put it...its about getting the most out of the forum.

Edit: Point proven in this thread...you haven't even acknowledged Tel's post #6.

Last edited:
guys, you push any newbies out and dont let them in. They been posts that i have left and not replied to only due to the way people answer with put downs.

They is a way to say things without being rude. Constructive advice is welcomed, thats what forums are for, but as I say they a way to say things

Hi guys,

The general use sockets have RCD protection but the circuits they have suggested is lacking RCD protection in the hand dryers, heaters and water heaters within the toilet. They is no bath or shower just the toilet and basin. It is also a commercial installation.

So, on the EICR, what's the reason given for requiring RCD protection (any reg numbers?) and what code has been allocated?

Im just saying
You are wrong,this is a forum for professional Electricians. I have not commented up until now, it seems quite obvious that you do not have the knowledge/ competence to carry out such tasks. If I am wrong will then I apologise, you don't contribute much either, maybe if you did folk might just be more helpful.

The requirements to provide RCD protection for circuits are only to be found within Chapter 7 (special locations) of BS7671.
A circuit which does not supply equipment, or pass through a special location, will not require RCD protection.

Was not aware when I joined this forum, that it was restricted to professional electricians.
There have over the years been a number of queries from non-electricians.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are wrong,this is a forum for professional Electricians. I have not commented up until now, it seems quite obvious that you do not have the knowledge/ competence to carry out such tasks. If I am wrong will then I apologise, you don't contribute much either, maybe if you did folk might just be more helpful.

then maybe you should apologise Dave.

Yes i understand it a forum were they should be give and take. As i did say earlier i hold me hands up to the fact im taking more than giving. But same time nobody once to give you a chance to get to know people and bond with people on here, they just to quick to jump the gun and put you down.

The reason why i asked this question is I didnt think RCD protection was required but was asking advice of the more experienced guys incase i was missing something and all it has turned into is a bunch of people jumping down my throat. If you didnt want to contribute wouldnt of it just been eaiser all round for you not to reply anything.

It was given a code 3 with lack of adequate RCD protection.

The requirements to provide RCD protection for circuits are only to be found within Chapter 7 (special locations) of BS7671.
A circuit which does not supply equipment, or pass through a special location, will not require RCD protection.

Was not aware when I joined this forum, that it was restricted to professional electricians.
There have over the years been a number of queries from non-electricians.

I think the comments about electrician and non-electricians are totally off topic so not sure why it even was mentioned in the first place because as you point out non electricians use this forum also.

My questions was to make sure I wasnt missing anything. I found it strange that someone had suggested RCD protection was required for these circuits and was thinking maybe the guy that conducted the EiCR had got confused with "special locations" were his recommendations would of been correct. I was just asking the advice with the more experienced people to make sure i was right in my thinking but instead as my previous comments they some people that just want to jump down your throat and put you down because you not part of the "click"

Paul, if you are feeling alienated and victimised on this site I would suggest that it is mostly from your own actions. Why should your conduct on the internet be any different to the physical world ?

Imagine working on a site where you wander into the site hut and introduce yourself, have a chat with the other guys at break times, and get involved in other's chats day after day.

Now imagine the same site where a fella walks into the hut, asks about a coding query, gets peoples' opinions then walks out of the hut without a word and never comes back to say thanks for the advice. After the seventh time of doing this would you not expect others to start questioning his competence and getting annoyed with his lack of manners ? Would it then be reasonable to accuse the hut dwellers of being excluding and elitist ?

Perhaps if you started again with a bit of info for everyone on the site. Your qualification level, experience etc, as your profile is blank, particularly your qualification and experience relating to periodic reporting.

Reply to RCD protection for circuits in a toilet (not shower/bathroom) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net