Discuss RCD Requirements minor works in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Interested in fellow sparks opinions on this.

Client of a 15-20year old commercial/Industrial premises wants an additional 13a socket outlet installed for a specific piece of equipment, the additional wiring for this will be off a current non-rcd ring (with satisfactory Zs value) and installed not buried less than 50mm in walls.
The ring main currently supplies about 15 socket outlets for general purpose and electronic equipment. The earth leakage on the circuit is likely too high for an rcbo to be installed at db without nuisance tripping. The db has no spare ways to split the circuit into smaller radials or with a bit of rewiring smaller rings.

Bearing in mind there is no rcd protection for the entire circuit, will labelling of the additional socket outlet for a specific item of equipment suffice?

I've usually always found a way to improve the whole circuit and install rcbo at source for minor works however I don't think its reasonable in this situation.

Labelling a socket to me is a pointless exercise and what would you deem this specific item of equipment to be. A risk assessment is required with acceptance from your client that additional rcd protection will not be provided. You could fit an rcd socket but I see this as pointless seeing as none of the rest are rcd protected.

The regulations give 2 options for omitting rcd protection to a socket outlet
Not sure option b requires a risk assessment

(a) where, other than for an installation in a dwelling, a documented risk assessment determines that the RCD protection is not necessary, or

(b) for a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment.

The exception in indent (b), relating to the omission of RCD protection for specific socket-outlets, is included in both the current and new versions of the regulation.

It is stressed that the exception may only be applied for a socket-outlet that has been provided for the connection of a particular item of equipment. The socket-outlet must be labelled or otherwise suitably identified so that users will be clearly informed that the socket-outlet is intended only for plugging in that particular item of equipment and for no other purpose. Unless the electrical installation designer is convinced that the socket-outlet cannot reasonably be expected to be used for other purposes, RCD protection for that socket-outlet should not be omitted.

Both options look like they are being dumped in the new 18th edition so if your gonna do it,
Do it while you can

Commercial is not so much a risk as domestic as it is not the socket which creates harm but the appliance using said socket. Commercial duty holders are required by law to ensure appliances are safe and fit for purpose which should limit hazards.

To start with, unless the installation is agricultural/horticultural or the circuit passes through a zone or supplies equipment in a special location there is no requirement to provide RCD protection for socket circuits.
Either install an RCD socket, or label the socket.

Additional protection provided to all socket outlets upto 20 amps and mobile equipment upto 32 amps for equipment outdoors is the actual requirement.
With 2 exceptions already listed

Back to the thread ..I the socket was behind the item of equipment and not readily accessible label it. If there is a likelihood that it could get used then fit a rcd socket as said risk assessment.

Reply to RCD Requirements minor works in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net