Discuss rcd short circut in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bmc48

my rcd 30ma trips everytime i put the iron on, it lasts a couple of minutes then trips , all sockets and lighting trip ,so its a big inconveinience,, any advice would be a great help. thanx,

New iron required. Ours did the same.

(edit) I say 'ours' but it's the wife's really, despite her best efforts to convince me it's a power tool (/edit)

Have you tried a new iron? I take it all your circuits are on one RCD? If you can use other items like the hoover or kettle on that circuit then it is fine. its the iron that is faulty and the RCD is doing its job by tripping.

Yes its the heating element in the iron that has gone. Happens all the time and as above the rcd is doing its job so no need to worry, just buy a new iron.

its a new iron ?, but still trips, therz only the sockets and lights on this rcd, all other circuts have their own rcds. thanx

4887611577_6bd5a3e0cd.jpg

These never trip RCDs so get her one of them

If it's new, return it to the shop/site which supplied it for a replacement. It may be that the earth leakage from the iron is simply adding to the leakage already on the existing circuits. If the replacement iron has the same problem, have the rcd & circuits checked by a local electrician (post your general location on here - someone will be able to assist).

Regards

If getting a new iron is a problem and you have access to a PAT tester you will be able to identify where the leakage is from and make the neccessary repair.

Reply to rcd short circut in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, There's 2 single fan ovens in the house my mother recently moved into. Posh elecronic AEG units. It's been sat empty for a year, so the...
Replies
Views
An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
Called out to fault on RCD tripping maybe twice in a month for sometime. Did all the tests & found RCD was faulty, Refitted a new Rcd Type A which...
Replies
Views
I just finished a garden room supply. The customer already had a CPN garage consumer unit that the last sparks left there, brand new in box, and...
Replies
Views
I'm writing this mainly hoping something occurs to me while writing it! I got called to an occasionally tripping RCD. It's a Hager double height...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock