Discuss RCD test without RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jonesyc894

Is there anyway I can test an installation without an RCD so I can be sure when I changethe board the RCD will trip in time? Or calculation, such as V/R eg 230/Zs.????

^^what he said, about what they said ^^
wonder if the OP will return...

About as much chance as Gary Glitter making one to the charts

Is there anyway I can test an installation without an RCD so I can be sure when I changethe board the RCD will trip in time? Or calculation, such as V/R eg 230/Zs.????
Try to have a good hard think about that one Jonesy. Then come back to us mate

Since the maximum Zs required for a 30mA RCD to trip is 1667Ω as this meets the RA x Idn <= 50 V, you can ensure that the disconnection times will be met before installing an RCD.
Being able to test the RCD to ensure correct operation by disconnection within 40ms at 5 x Idn is not possible without the RCD.

Normally the questions around RCD's are

If I change the fuseboard how can I be sure the RCD will hold etc etc so this is a new one!

Looking at the ops previous posts he is working as a electrician so I hope this is just a blonde momment question!

Nine times out of ten trev!
When the RCD hasn't been installed?
An IR test is usually performed with the cables in question disconnected, please explain how a result of, for arguments sake, 100 Megohms between line and neutral will tell you if an RCD will trip in the event of a fault occuring on that circuit at an unspecified point in time in the future.

Reply to RCD test without RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net