1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss RCD Testing - Remove devices prior to testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. dazj90

dazj90 New EF Member

I've got a 3 phase DB with individual RCBO's supplying various equipment, Fire Alarm Controller/Water Heaters/Office Sockets/Office Lighting/Air Conditioning Controller.

GN3 suggests "Any load or appliances should be disconnected prior to testing", would it be ok remove the supply at the RCBO for this and is it necessary to remove the load?

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Just take line and neutral out of the RCBO (work safely) or make sure the kit is switched off before testing.

4. dazj90

dazj90 New EF Member

Would removing the fuse from a spur be sufficient enough to remove the load as there are a couple of circuits that feed a spur then the device.
    Full arc flash gear will be worn under companies rules.

5. dazj90

dazj90 New EF Member

Also , is there a standard form to complete with just RCD quarterly test results, or would I just complete the RCD times section on the EICR form?

6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Yes removing the fuse would be sufficient, or just switching the spur off if it has a switch.

I do not believe there is a standard form for quarterly RCD testing.
    I would either create your own form or modify say a minor works certificate to an RCD testing report.
    Something like this depending on what you need to report

Attached Files:

dazj90 and Vortigern like this.
  8. dazj90

dazj90 New EF Member

Thank you for your help Rich.