Discuss Rcd Tripping in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi got a call last week maybe the week before about an rcd tripping, turns out it was a tumble dryer in a shed at the back of the garden. I stayed with him for about an hour talking him through how the rcd works and reassuring the device was doing its job etc, didnt charge him.

now got a call this morning saying the same rcd's tripping again and he thinks its the freezer this time in the shed.. Now im thinking is this a coincidence or have i missed something. So im going to go back today at some point and do a test on the shed, if i remember correctly the sheds fed from a 13a FCU from the kitchen ring via plastic conduit to an old wylex board with the old 3871's, two 6a circuits one with one socket on it and the other a lighting but the lighting circuit's mcb is currently always in the off position, so if the readings come back ok it must be the freezer no? Im going to do a test on the kitchen ring while im there Can anyone let me know if ive missed something, start to doubt yourself lol hope thats enough information so you can get a clear picture.

Last edited:
Hi got a call last week maybe the week before about an rcd tripping, turns out it was a tumble dryer in a shed at the back of the garden. I stayed with him for about an hour talking him through how the rcd works and reassuring the device was doing its job etc, didnt charge him.

now got a call this morning saying the same rcd's tripping again and he thinks its the freezer this time in the shed.. Now im thinking is this a coincidence or have i missed something. So im going to go back today at some point and do a test on the shed, if i remember correctly the sheds fed from a 13a FCU from the kitchen ring via pld plastic conduit to a old wylex board with the old 3871's, two 6a circuits one with one socket on it and the other a lighting but the lighting circuit has no fuse, so if the readings come back ok it must be the freezer no? Im going to do a test on the kitchen ring while im there Can anyone let me know if ive missed something, start to doubt yourself lol hope thats enough information so you can get a clear picture.

What exactly do you mean by "the lighting circuit has no fuse" if the RCD is in the house CU then the fault causing the RCD to trip needn't be in the shed, could be something in the house, or have I got the wrong end of the stick with your description of the installation?

Last edited:
Sorry i'll edit that, the lighting fuse isnt on, he said he turned the breaker off because - From what i could make out anyway - the flourescent lamp had gone lol

Sorry i'll edit that, the lighting fuse isnt on, he said he turned the breaker off because - From what i could make out anyway - the flourescent lamp had gone lol

Could it have been the tube going that caused the RCD to trip?

I stayed with him for about an hour talking him through how the rcd works and reassuring the device was doing its job etc, didnt charge him.

I'm a bit baffled by this. Yep, it's an RCDs job to trip...... when there's a fault. It's not like it should be doing it randomly to keep the occupier on his toes. It's a bit like saying it's the air bags job to go off..... in the event of a crash. You don't purposefully go round driving in to walls do you?

Hi,
As Pete says, could be the ring circuit has a problem or the fluorescent. If the MCB is off for the lighting then the N/E is still connected. With a bit of testing you'll probably soon identify that fault.

Regards.

I'm a bit baffled by this. Yep, it's an RCDs job to trip...... when there's a fault. It's not like it should be doing it randomly to keep the occupier on his toes. It's a bit like saying it's the air bags job to go off..... in the event of a crash. You don't purposefully go round driving in to walls do you?

No work today Mate?

No work today Mate?

Ah Pete, I'm bored witless mind. I can't wait to get out of this industry and into the electrical industry. 8.5 hours of nothingness every day - I try to get some studying in, but it's impossible to do that 8.5 hours a day every day of the week. Seriously, a night-security officer at a teddy bear factory would be busier than me.

Ah Pete, I'm bored witless mind. I can't wait to get out of this industry and into the electrical industry. 8.5 hours of nothingness every day - I try to get some studying in, but it's impossible to do that 8.5 hours a day every day of the week. Seriously, a night-security officer at a teddy bear factory would be busier than me.

Just remind me what industry are you in at present

Had some more info from his son, now im confident with a test i can determine of its the circuit or the appliance. Thanks for the help fellas, it helps sometimes when people fire some suggestions.

Now to get my head on another fault. Intermittently tripping rcd. Rcd's brilliant little devices but dont half cause some headaches lol.

hightower, im abit baffled myself lol, Is an RCD not there to trip? More so if there is a faulty appliance or a fault in general? If it trips then more so than not somethings not right - albeit they can be sensitive to lamps blowing etc - so it's doing its job, they dont just trip for a good giggle lol

Do you own an earth leakage clamp meter?

hightower, im abit baffled myself lol, Is an RCD not there to trip? More so if there is a faulty appliance or a fault in general? If it trips then more so than not somethings not right - albeit they can be sensitive to lamps blowing etc - so it's doing its job, they dont just trip for a good giggle lol

Sorry mate, just your post read to me as if it was perfectly natural for the RCD to trip out randomly and that you just left him to it, with words like "just reset it when it trips, it'll be alright".

Probably read in to your post the totally wrong way though.

now got a call this morning saying the same rcd's tripping again and he thinks its the freezer this time in the shed.. Now im thinking is this a coincidence or have i missed something. So im going to go back today at some point and do a test on the shed, if i remember correctly the sheds fed from a 13a FCU from the kitchen ring via plastic conduit to an old wylex board with the old 3871's, two 6a circuits one with one socket on it and the other a lighting but the lighting circuit's mcb is currently always in the off position, so if the readings come back ok it must be the freezer no? Im going to do a test on the kitchen ring while im there Can anyone let me know if ive missed something, start to doubt yourself lol hope thats enough information so you can get a clear picture.

Do an IR test on all circuits L/N together to earth. Leave everything plugged in and connected. Do not test L-N. You'll likely get a low reading, then go round unplugging/disconnecting re-testing each time until the low IR reading clears, fault found.
Remember re-the lighting mcb off, the RCD will still see a N-E fault.

Fault found gents, thanks for the help. Wirepuller, i do like that method, makes me think i must go right round the bloody houses lol.
Again thanks fellas, great bunch.

Yeah i think so, with ir between L-E on the lighting circuit, took the cover off and it was **** wet through with condesation on inside, theres only one light and a switch on that circuit and its pieced together with about 6 JB's all different size t&e lol bit shabby so he wants a new one. For time being disconnected it and ripped it out and alls good.

please bare with me me pn sentance structure on my phone and i hve to type it out quick before the browser reloads the webpage.

Reply to Rcd Tripping in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock